Backing up LOTR extended version

alex_boothby

In Runtime
Hi, I genuinely do have the original discs of LOTR extended versions, and i want to back them up onto my HDD to ensure they don't get lost ect and so i can also play them from my library.

The problem i am having is- i just cant seem to back it up. Using multiple software, ive tried a trial version of Any dvd and clone DVD but it just fails. no error message and ive also bought WIN X platinum but that also fails with no error it just shows the output file which plays but ends abruptly, ive tried multiple settings and the disc is clean!

Any ideas for help, as the software works on my other DVDs and apprently LOTR has no special protection.

Cheers,

p.s please no one comment on how this is illegal, it is not ive checked! long as i have the original, im allowed to do so!

DVD or Blu-ray?

I found this on a different forum:

I remember when I had the same problem with my versions of LOTR EE.

I originally tried to use MakeMKV to create an MKV from each disc and then join them, but MakeMKV didn't allow me to rip the forced subs (when they are speaking in Elvish), only the selectable ones (hard of hearing, etc), so I had to do it the "long" way.

Joining the files wasn't much of a problem, I ripped the MPG file straight from the DVD using Magic DVD Ripper (you could also use DVDdecrypter and then mux the streams using ImagoMPEG-Muxer). Then I joined the two MPG files using Tmpgenc Mpeg Editor.

Handling the forced subs wasn't too hard, I had to rip those using Subrip (saved to SRT), then I joined them using Aegisub. I then put everything in a (huge!) MKV container to use with my WDTV and it worked perfectly.

If you have the blu-ray version, I'm not totally sure. See if makemkv works.

thanks for the good reply buddy, but im using just the standard DVD. Its really getting on my nerves now!! Might just give up

Have you tried DVD Shrink?

If you've tried Slysoft's stuff and it didn't work (CloneDVD) then there's usually something wrong with your reader or the disc itself. Slysoft's software is usually pretty solid.

If DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink (used together) don't work, then something is up with the drive itself or the DVDs, and yes, your drive can work fine on some movies and not work on others... I've had it happen (have had the pulled hair to prove it)

Cheers for the advice, ive tried in on multiple computers now. But still no avail. Ive even tried making an iso out of the disc then using DVD shrink to convert it to all the vob files then another program Auto GK that converts multiple vob files into one avi. but it still crashes! It took DVD shrink 8.5 hours to complete! Im assuming it got stuck on one part of it- aka the section that is the pain in the arse. Wish all DVD ownership just gave you the right for a digital download!

Back
Top Bottom