BACK FEED ! ?

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
So, I am hooking up all the cables to the back of my computer, when i went to plug in the last cable, I noticed this red glow coming from the motherboard! this might not be so alarming if i had plugged the computer in (the motherboard has a couple of LED light strips running across it), but the power supply is UNPLUGGED! I started unplugging cables one by one, to try to find out where the power was coming from. it turned out to be a 10 socket USB 2.0 hub. the power is back feeding from that hub (it has a small power supply of its own) into my motherboard. might this be a serious problem? i just replaced the motherboard because the original one died. might this back feed be the cause? or am I freaking out for no reason?

because its what i have. and i do not think i have ever used all 10 at one time, i have used up to 6 of them when copying things to a usb memory stick to distribute things to my family and friends.

I do not know all what you use... but for myself... I use one for a wireless mouse, one for my keyboard, one for my printer and another one for my DAC. That is 4 ports. From what I can see.... your board has 5 or 6 in the back and I can only assume that your case has two usb ports in the front? My case also has two usb's in the front plus I use a USB 3 SD card reader with another usb port on that. I use Windows 7

So... are you lacking enough ports to use an extra usb device? You can get usb extensions to run from the back side of your pc to the front because I know it can be a real pain to plug in a usb device from the back side. Those extensions are cheap, and they will not cause any issues like a powered hub may cause

To answer your question about your 10 port hub, I'm not positive but it does sound funky to me. Especially if it is old. It could be time to upgrade to a new 3.x hub if you need to use a hub

I shoulda read this one first before replying to the other. Yea if it's a powered hub that power isn't supposed to be feeding back into the motherboard like that. I'd say we found the cause of the issue there.

Back
Top Bottom