avi file causing my explorer to crash!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

clever_j

In Runtime
My System:
sig_animated.gif

you know when your explorer crashes, your task bar disappears for a while.. and then it is reloaded after a few seconds.. but with some of your system tray icons missing already? yah.. that kinda crash...

well, it happens every single time i :

1) open the AVI file from explorer
2) select the AVI file by just 1 click or scrolling down to it.. soon as it is highlighted, boom, crash (VIEW TYPE = LIST)
3) enter the directory where the AVI file is (VIEW TYPE = thumbnails)
4) enter the directory where the AVI file is (VIEW TYPE = FILM STRIP)

the only trigger i can think of here is when windows attempts to display a preview of the avi files... coz if in LIST VIEW and i don't select it.. everything is fine. but as soon as i select it, or set the folder view to thumbnails.. as soon as it gets drawn, boom.. explorer crashes..

This happens on some specific avi files only.. right now i got like 4 of these avi files that causes my explorer to crash.. but these files are FINE.. if i select them /open them from windows media player itself, no problems..

any ideas?

Very interesting how you got my avatar in your banner but anyways it is always possible the file is corrupted.

Very interesting how you got my avatar in your banner

lol .. umm.. i've had this firefox eating IE gif for months already.. shared to me from another forum.. why? were you the one who made this?

nyways it is always possible the file is corrupted.

I can verify that it isnt corrupted.. i did filechecks, also played the whole file without a problem.. and finally, i tried it on another computer.. and it didnt cause any problems.. same XP with sp2 setup..

Are you forgetting the basics like an AVI codec media player doesn't support this by defualt. Do you hav DivX6.0?

Are you forgetting the basics like an AVI codec media player doesn't support this by defualt. Do you hav DivX6.0?
first of all, media player DOES PLAY THE FILES.. there are no problems there.. my problem is with the EXPLORER. It crashes...

and yes, I have all the latest codecs.. i keep myself updated with the K-Lite codec pack... and well, i can confirm also that the files aren't DiVX..

Well there is your problem you use Kazaa it's the source of all evil uninstall it ASAP and try limeware or bearshare. Yes but if media player has an error reading it it could freeze up explorer. Stick with my recommendation

1.) Uninstall Kazaa and any Kazaa related software
2.) Install Limeware or Bearshare, these are like Kazaa but better
3.) Install DivX this is a great download that comes with a great codec
4.) Since you are a Kazaa user download and scan for viruses and spyware

lolz.. who said i was on kazaa? I hate that piece of crap! hehhe

yep..i've been using limewirePro for months already.. no kazaa here...

maybe you thought K-Lite was kazaa (since i dont see any mention of anything else that would resemble to kazaa).. The k-lite i installed isnt KAzaa Lite. There are different codec packs out there, and the most recommended one is the K-Lite codec pack.. it's a complete Audio and Video codec pack.. no way is it related to kazaa.

It could be a corrupted avi. I had a 700MB one which would immediately lock the file once opening the folder it was located in, use 50% system resources and I had to use killbox to get rid of it with the close explorer shell while deleting option enabled. Otherwise I use the slightly lighter divx total pack 2.2 with media player classic. There's some reg patch which disables xp from accessing avi information within the file which might help cure your problems.

@tassleholf

i dont think it's corrupted avi file mate.. i tried it on another computer and it's working fine.. didnt crash the explorer on my brother's pC..

There's some reg patch which disables xp from accessing avi information within the file which might help cure your problems.

hmm.. this could be my problem.. what/where is it?

Ah geez when I click the thumbnail view my 300+ file folder also crashes explorer. I used the [last resort method] below which appears to be a temp fix until i figure out why vsfilter.dll is s***ing itself on the thumbnail view of this folder.

I think it might be the following, go to the following registry key:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}]
try putting a minus in front of the {87d...} or
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\-{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}]
be sure to change it back it it doesn't work, fairly sure this doesn't need a reboot after trying on my machine.
Or if you think your avi key thingie might be totally frelled, export your original key to a safe location, delete the one in the registry, create a txt file and paste the following in:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}]
@="Avi Properties Handler"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,73,00,68,00,\
6d,00,65,00,64,00,69,00,61,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00
"ThreadingModel"="Both"

Rename the txt extension to reg and double click it and let us know if anything happens. This might need a reboot?

[last resort method]
as a last resort type the following at the start run prompt

regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
try running the thumbnail view or highlight the file and see what happens.

regsvr32 shmedia.dll to undo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom