avi file causing my explorer to crash!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'd try deleting the the thumbs.db files for that folder thru dos and possibly moving the file to a different folder thru dos as well to see what happens.

also u said it worked on ur bros pc, is it on a cd or something? could u open the cd in explorer to see if it crashes

'd try deleting the the thumbs.db files for that folder thru dos and possibly moving the file to a different folder thru dos as well to see what happens.

the folder doesnt even have a thumbs.db file.. it's the only avi file.. the rest ar MP3 files..

i used norton file maanger to move it around (since it doesnt crash there).. different folders.. etc.. same prob..

also u said it worked on ur bros pc, is it on a cd or something? could u open the cd in explorer to see if it crashes
no.. it's an avi file on my hard drive.. i shared the folder so he could access it.. he ran and watched the avi file from start to finish.. no problems..
[last resort method]
as a last resort type the following at the start run prompt

regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
try running the thumbnail view or highlight the file and see what happens.

regsvr32 shmedia.dll to undo.

what does this do man?

The thumbs.db is a hidden file that just creates a snapshot of the first frame of pictures/video files which are displayed on the thumbnail view in that folder so the hard disk doesn't have to get hammered accessing every file every time the folder is opened on thumbnail view. This can be displayed by going to tools/file options/view go down to hidden files and folders and select the show all files option, then it can be deleted as it might be somehow corrupted. If it's not there then you've already got the disablethumbnailcache=1 in the registry which is fine for modern fast hard drives.

The regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll just unregisters something or other to do with video/audio preview that appears to stop my 360 file folder from crashing on the thumbnail view.
for more info:
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~tassburfoot/avipreview.html
http://www.moviecodec.com/topics/3588p1.html

The thumbs.db is a hidden file that just creates a snapshot of the first frame of pictures/video files which are displayed on the thumbnail view in that folder so the hard disk doesn't have to get hammered accessing every file every time the folder is opened on thumbnail view. This can be displayed by going to tools/file options/view go down to hidden files and folders and select the show all files option, then it can be deleted as it might be somehow corrupted. If it's not there then you've already got the disablethumbnailcache=1 in the registry which is fine for modern fast hard drives.

nope...i enabled thumbnail caching.. this folder where one of the avi was at didnt have a thumbs.db because thumbs.db are create when you do a thumbnailed view at least once. But with this avi, the folder it's in has never done a thumbnail view.. i dont even have to.. all i have to do is select the file and it crashes.. i think it's when windows tries to get info off the avi file.. or do a preview of it on the left pane..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom