AUX Question

Aaron_B

Baseband Member
Working on a conference this weekend. Can someone explain to me how I can hook up a Mac through AUX, and a PC through AUX simultaneously. Right now I am looking at a Y splitter, which will work, I think, but I want to be sure.

What exactly are you trying to hook up to / accomplish? AUX is usually for output, but is entirely dependent on what you're hooking up to... are you trying to record on both devices?

A y-splitter usually isn't really a splitter... What they tend to do is take stereo and turn it into mono, one channel for one plug, the other channel on the other plug...

Trying to have two inputs into the wall. I don't know if its even possible.

So you're trying to combine the two audio outs of the computers into a single input jack?

If that's the case.. no, that won't work without a mixer or some other kind of audio equipment.

A y-splitter usually isn't really a splitter... What they tend to do is take stereo and turn it into mono, one channel for one plug, the other channel on the other plug...
If only this was the case, especially if the audio is mono. You could make a cable like this but not sure if you could buy one. This also assumes that the wall jack and audio system is stereo.

So you're trying to combine the two audio outs of the computers into a single input jack?

If that's the case.. no, that won't work without a mixer or some other kind of audio equipment.
Probably the best way would be a switch that allows you to select one or the other or a mixer. The problem with combining outputs is that they will interfere with each other, possibly even cause damage.

If only this was the case, especially if the audio is mono. You could make a cable like this but not sure if you could buy one. This also assumes that the wall jack and audio system is stereo.

They make them. Amazon.com : NSIcable 1 x 3.5mm Male To 2 x 3.5mm Female Stereo Audio Splitter Cable - One 3.5mm Male/Two 3.5mm Female : Rca Audio Cables : Electronics

Probably the best way would be a switch that allows you to select one or the other or a mixer. The problem with combining outputs is that they will interfere with each other, possibly even cause damage.

Yup, best option would be a switch or a mixer rather than just a Y cable / adapter.

The cable listed is a stereo splitter and feeds both channels to each headphone. It is used to split the output to 2 separate headphones. The OP wants to combine 2 outputs into a single input so this cable won't work.

I spent a few hours with a friend who doesn't really know much past how to do his daily work on the PC, trying to find a way for this. I know there is, because there is always a way, I just don't know it. And you guys are usually spot on, which is why I love this forum.

Back
Top Bottom