Automating updates via command line

feckinzorro

Beta member
So, I've got a client with about 30 devices on their network that I'm taking with the monthly maintenance (Windows Updates) and the quarterly updates (device and chipset updates) for. We use WSUS for the Windows part, and I'm currently looking into actually triggering the update service via Powershell, as we've been having issue with devices pulling their updates from WSUS on their own. If anyone has ideas about this, I'd like to read 'em, but that's not actually what I'm after with this.
I want to know if there is any good way of performing device updates with a command line. All of the devices at this particular client are Dells with Intel chipsets, so my driver updates (what don't come through Windows Update) have to be downloaded through Intel Driver & Support Assistant, Dell Command | Update, and/or Dell SupportAssist. Intel will notify me when there are updates, and Command | Update can be set to automatically pull updates, but I don't find it be reliable (especially if I only set it as my user and I don't log on to the device often). So does anyone know of any script commands I can utilize to pull those downloads.

So, I've got a client with about 30 devices on their network that I'm taking with the monthly maintenance (Windows Updates) and the quarterly updates (device and chipset updates) for. We use WSUS for the Windows part, and I'm currently looking into actually triggering the update service via Powershell, as we've been having issue with devices pulling their updates from WSUS on their own. If anyone has ideas about this, I'd like to read 'em, but that's not actually what I'm after with this.
I want to know if there is any good way of performing device updates with a command line. All of the devices at this particular client are Dells with Intel chipsets, so my driver updates (what don't come through Windows Update) have to be downloaded through Intel Driver & Support Assistant, Dell Command | Update, and/or Dell SupportAssist. Intel will notify me when there are updates, and Command | Update can be set to automatically pull updates, but I don't find it be reliable (especially if I only set it as my user and I don't log on to the device often). So does anyone know of any script commands I can utilize to pull those downloads.

You shouldn't be dealing with fool things.
if you have an Intel Driver & Support Assistant installed on some machines, remove it immediately as they cause a lot of problems and generally give very incorrect driver information
With Dell SupportAssist, you can use it once after a new clean installation of Windows for machines with up-to-date drivers for Dell.
NB! Usually you will only get some very specific drivers, such as the System Base Device, but nothing else.
Any computer cannot be cared (or maintanained) only once a month and even more - indirectly by using someone's unknown scripts.
If I knew who you are servicing, I would recommend them to get rid of strange service providers like you very quickly.

Last edited:
Yeah, I haven't had any issue with those driver utilities. Pulling the drivers individually from the support pages produces the same result, which I know because I do it all the time. And I'm not asking for a scripts, I'm asking for ideas. I'm on site at the client constantly, I'm just looking for rapid deployment options. You really entered into your response with a hell of a paradigm and didn't really bother trying to understand the question. All I was looking for where interesting options, like Chocolatey or other Powershell-based deployments. Not a misguided opinion from some random who thinks he's got the perfect perspective on everything, yeah?

Chocolately was going to be my initial suggestion, but not sure if it'd work for your case.

Do either of those tools have command line utilities that you can kick off remotely? Are the machines on the same domain, or are they individual clients?

You really entered into your response with a hell of a paradigm and didn't really bother trying to understand the question. All I was looking for where interesting options, like Chocolatey or other Powershell-based deployments. Not a misguided opinion from some random who thinks he's got the perfect perspective on everything, yeah?

Just ignore Kalju, the information s/he provides is lackluster at best.

just think a little bit before you talk.

Back
Top Bottom