Authorising Wireless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

philghost

Solid State Member
Hi,

I have set up my main pc with a netgear wiress broadband router and have also added a card to my laptop and both are working very well on the net and sharing printer etc.

My problem is that i have added a third pc to the network, using a wireless pc card. All the system is using netgear products.

The third pc with the pci netgear card is recognising the host computer, but wont allow me to share files, printer or the internet (AOL). It asked me for authorisation from the host computer and i am afraid that i am a loss of how to do this????

I wonder if any of you can help me please?

Thankyou

Phil

Hi,

Just a few questions before we try and come up with a solution to your problem. You say your third PC is recognising the host computer but is it connected? If it is connected you will see a small icon in the bottom right hand corner or the screen. Otherwise it could be that your network is set up with some type of encryption or MAC address filtering. Both of these would prevent your computer from connecting to the network, however this would not stop your PCI card from recognising the available wireless networks.

If this is the case, let us know and I'll try and give you some guidance on how to sort out the encryption or MAC addres filtering which may be set up.

Retro.

wireless problem

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I am using the wep key for security and have given the new pc with the new pc card the same web key number as the other one so that it would be allowed on the network.

But it hasnt allowed me to access the network. i am getting the usual netgear is connected to ....... in the little green item on the start up icons and also the wireless connection i.e very good signal blue icon.

Everytime i try to connect it tells me to get the administrator authority on the host pc to allow sharing of files, internet etc?

Phil

Ok,

One possible solution as to why you cant access your shared files could be because of sharing access rights. If you go to the shared folder on the host PC and right click on it and go to properties and then the sharing tab. There will be a checkbox with the words "Allow network users to change my files" - check it.

When do you get the error message? When you open your Internet browser or try to access a network drive? Could you post the exact wording of the error message and an error code if you get one.

Thanks,

Retro.

WIRELESS PROBLEM

Hi,

I did try to authorise the way you said by sorting the shared file option, but it did not work.

OK.....

When i open the ENTIRE NETWORK icon, it shows three little pcs connected to each other on one side and under this it says HOMEMAIN which is the network from the main pc. Next to this are three other little pcs that are connected and under this it says WORKGROUP.

When i try to access the WORKGROUP icon it says this message.....

WORKGROUP IS NOT ACCESSIBLE. YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO USE THIS NETWORK RESOURCE. CONTACT ADMINISTRATOR OR SERVER TO FIND OUT ACCESS PERMISSIONS???

THE NETWORK PATH WAS NOT FOUND?

That is all it said.

PHIL

Ok thanks for the info.

This is likely to be causing you problems because more than likely your computers are using different operating systems. This can complicate the networking process. Installing the same operating system on both of the computers is an option however this is quite drastic and other measures should be taken beforehand.

First of all I suggest that you check that your computers are in the same workgroup. Often when setting up a network a default workgroup is assigned which is called 'MSHOME'. As I understand your Desktop is using the 'HOMEMAIN' workgroup. On the 3rd PC go to, My Computer > Control Panel > System > Computer Name Tab. Here it will display the workgroup which your 3rd PC is a member of. If it is anything other than 'HOMEMAIN' click Change and enter 'HOMEMAIN' as the workgroup.

If this does not solve the problem you might want to check that the IP address of your 3rd PC is in the same range as that of the other PC's. YOur Router probably has a default IP of something liek 192.168.2.1. If you have DHCP server enabled, your computers should have been assigned static IPs ranging from 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.2.255. To check the ip address of your machine go to Start > Run > type 'cmd' or 'command' then when the commad window opens type 'ipconfig'. This should list your ip address. Check that the ip address of your 3rd PC is in the same scope as your laptop and desktop PC. If your IP address is not in the same scope you'll need to manually configure it. If you need help doing this, let me know.

Let me know how you get on,

Retro.

I am checking it all over the next couple of days and will let you know what results are.
once again i appreciate your time and apologise for delays sometimes, due to long hours at my job.

phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom