Australia's Internet Bungle

So a poor tourist like me cannot have fun lobster-ing there :(

Catching lobster is not like fishing at all. You bait the traps/cages, put them in the water, come back the next day and check them.

I am sure that there are opportunities for other types of actual fishing, though.

Here people use diving as means to non commercially catch lobsters too so I thought of that. There is an invention to catch lobsters with a fishing line similar to fishing, but our lobsters are spiny (like California Lobster) with no claws/pincers so it might not work. Diving should work tho, and if lobsters come closer to shore in warmer days I'm guessing snorkeling could work too, and I do that.

First thing you need is a boat. second is a License for the traps and such. You would need to be a US citizen and A resident of Maine. Portland International is as it says. From there you would need to go to Pine Point or Saco to do any lobster-ing. Next would be taking them back home with you. I don't think you can get them on the plane. That and you would need to keep them in salt water till you are ready to cook. I don't think you could afford the freight back to your home. That said, You are better off just getting lobsters there. Sorry my friend, Not really feasible. They catch Lobsters year around. And its COLD there in the wintertime!! Below 0 temps can last for days or weeks at a time along with large amounts of snow. Summers are the Best!! Highs around 70's to 80's. Have rain storms or maybe a Hurricane once in awhile, usually in the fall. Trees are really beautiful in the fall. The summer lasts 3 months most times. You get about 2 more months of in between weather before the winter hits strong. October to November is first snow and last would be April. If i didn't have Deb i would still be there. I loved it there!! Some of the Best fishing in the country!! Deb was from Maine and she can't handle the winters so we moved south. Even with the cold and snow, I would still want to be there. Best of luck on your next idea for Lobsters, Wd65

Last edited:
Actually, I cannot even afford a one way trip to anywhere abroad :D

But I didn't expect there were no diving for lobster fishing trips for tourists. Oh well.

By the way, we have some places here that import live Maine/Canadian lobsters live! One place sells a ~1.45 pound cooked lobster that comes with fries and a salad for $38.7 USD dining in. It was $36 USD about a month ago before changing their prices. There are no taxes or service percentage in food prices here.

You can't beat that!! By the time you did all the stuff i said above, you would be over 200 bucks for each lobster. Maybe more!! 38 bucks don't sound all that bad really. Ass for diving, The waters are not clear enough there to see what you are diving into. You could hit a rock or a old boat or something. Low tide you can see the bottom when there is no storm at sea to churn it up. Water is under 15 foot at low tide some places even more shallow. High tide is around 5-6 feet higher. There is a kind of Bay there that covers a large area. shallow as said above. Pine Point on the north and Saco on the south. Its large enough that there are several different companys that lobster and crab and shrimp as well. They can catch all the way out to the reef. Thats a couple of miles off shore. I would say that there is about 2 X 50 miles. Now thats not the only place to do this. There are more places up all along the coast all the way up to Canada.
Its a different world there. English is the main language but they also speak French too! In the summers the Canadians come down to the different beaches. They speak French for the most part. A lot of the folks there speak both and are often called frank-o-american. Or slang, Ca-nooks! Anyway, that about the easy stuff about Maine.

Yep, at least you're an active poster...That's awesome!!

As far as eating lobster from Maine, my girlfriend's sister's boyfriend was a lobster man and he would give us lobster's all the time. We used to have lobster for dinner 3 times a week...it was so so good.

EDIT: Now I am craving sea food.

Back
Top Bottom