Audio from displayport

ikonix360

Daemon Poster
Is there a DAC that can connect to a displayport on a PC and extract the audio for a reasonable cost without a monitor connected?

Output preferred to be 1/8" jack or RCA but can also have just a SPDIF output with an external DAC.

Basically I'm wanting to get better quality audio at work and I cannot connect a USB DAC.

I currently use a VGA monitor, but it has a DVI input so if I need a monitor connected to the displayport for an audio extractor to work I can get a displayport to DVI adapter.

I'd like to stay under $100 if possible and the lower cost within reason the better.

They do make DAC's with optical and coax ports too. My DAC provides all three ports, but I just use the usb port from my pc. Some pc's do not provide optical or coax ports.

1628853477499.png

Good DAC's are not cheap. Mine is a mid-priced DAC, and has no head phone ports
I do not know of any DAC's that use a display port. The DAC only converts the digital audio into a analog audio signal, so you can connect a standard audio amp/stereo receiver to a pc

Do know that there are some monitors that use audio that usually require a 1/8 RCA cable to connect the port. You might want to look into that option

Last edited:
If need be I can get a displayport to HDMI adapter and an HDMI audio extractor.

Anything has to be better than the motherboard sound card.20210813_072955.jpg

Something like this?
Converter

pc's make for good audio, and most sound cards are better than the built in audio on mother boards. What type of device are you going to plug this into for your audio needs? Speakers have a lot to do with your audio quality too

Yes that would work.

I'd need a displayport to HDMI cable. Also will that require a monitor be connected to the output for the computer to register something is connected?

If so I can use a HDMI to DVI cable as my monitor has a DVI input.

I will be using an older amplifier and older speakers.

They sound great as is but I feel maybe I can get a little better audio quality by this method.

Unfortunately I can't plug in a DAC to the USB port.

IT takes computer security very seriously so we are limited to what can be plugged into the USB. However the adapter can be plugged into the USB as it is only using the USB for power unless somehow the computer has a way of detecting power draw from the USB port.

The PC also has no SPDIF output.

Only digital output is through the two displayports.

Computer speakers would work, but in order to get the same quality I have I'd be spending a giod bit of money on the speakers as I would need a decent powered sub be with the computer speakers.

So I'd buy these.

20210813_081828.jpg

Unless I do not need my monitor to be plugged into the audio extractor.

Last edited:
Idk what you do for a living but I'd go out on a limb and say you probably can't turn it up enough to make an intelligible difference between onboard and all this signal loss from conversion. With my adaptations I have for doing 4k output and SPDIF on the Series X it makes a noticeable difference between it and my sound card, but that also might be the extractor I'm using.

I work in avionics so I can turn up my music decently loud and I'm right next to a test set with noisy blowers in it so the music has to be a little louder to hear it.

Plus even at low volume levels I can tell a quality difference in audio.

I'd use my cellphone but they aren't allowed in the building I work in.

DAC's make a big difference in quality and the converter that ikonix is looking at basically a DAC too. One thing that I know.... that cheap DAC's are just that. I've seen some DAC's go for hundreds of $$$ and some go for $35. With a cheap DAC the audio quality will suffer. Volume can be adjusted through his stereo receiver, but it can only do as well as the output is from the pc and being converted into an analog signal.
Edit: the only way I could get my DAC to work was to disable all of my on board audio and remove all the drivers and software associated with the on board audio. I then had to install another driver for the DAC but that is only because I'm running Windows 7 and 7 does not have any native drivers for this Topping DAC. My audio does kick ass now.
Can you contact your IT dept and ask "pretty please" (maybe buy them some donuts too) they might let you connect a DAC. My Topping D30 was around $150. when I got it but today I see on Amazon they are going for $100. I'm sure this is an older DAC so shop around and check out as many reviews as you can, a newer DAC is probably better than the one I use.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom