Attention Apple iPhone haters

I think the majority of what people complained about on the iPhones has just been addressed. Seriously this list of 3.0 updates is sick! This update is going to be a lot more business friendly. You can also watch the official press release video here.

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/0903lajkszg/event/index.html

Source
At today's iPhone OS 3.0 preview event, Apple announced a ton of new user and developer features for the popular mobile platform. Over 100 user features were added including:

* Copy and paste (finally!)
* Stereo Bluetooth (A2DP), even on the latest-gen iPod Touch
* MMS (multimedia SMS)
* Landscape mode and landscape keyboard to all key applications including Mail
* Pervasive search with Spotlight
* Control accessories through the dock connector
* Improved calendar synching (CalDAV and .ics)
* Tethering for laptops (but this requires carrier support which isn't there yet)

Developers will find plenty to like in the new release as well, with over 1,000 new APIs added. These include:

* A supported way to access the proximity sensor
* Embeddable Google maps (but you have to provide your own map tiles)
* Peer to peer connectivity - for example two nearby iPhones can discover each other and play a game together
* Push notifications - 3rd party server talks to Apple server, which pushes notifications out to the phone. Notifications can be badges, sound, or text.
* Email sheet - send a quick email without leaving your application
* In-game voice

iPhone 3.0 will support new purchasing models including:

* In-app purchasing - purchase new levels, power-ups, etc. without leaving the application
* Subscriptions - charge a monthly fee for content

The new OS will NOT support:

* Flash - Apple says there are plenty of easy workarounds for presenting video such as HTML5 with video tags, H.264
* Background applications - Apple says push notifications are better, use less power

A beta version is available today to developers. It will ship this summer and be free to all iPhone 3G customers. iPod touch users will have to pay $10. Original iPhones can use it, presumably for a small charge, but won't get all the features because their hardware doesn't support everything (in particular MMS and A2DP).

I'm suprised they didn't mention turn by turn in the key notes but its finally officially open for developers. Also if your playing a game with another friend that has a iPod or iPhone and launch multiplayer the phone will automatically sync via bluetooth to there iPhone to play each other.

Very nice, you iPhone owners must be happy.

Man I was so happy to see some of these features listed when I watched the press release. I bet the recent launch of the Cydia app store compelled Apple to finally give in to what everyone really wants.

You could say some of these new features should have been there from the start but its so nice to finally see them go official.

Not to mention I bet this update is a attempt to counter Sprints Palm Pre launch.

really sucks i have original iphone. cant get the MMS. thats great! :(

Ya that's kind of a bummer for you 1st gen owners. I'm guessing there may be a updated version coming as well. Although it will probably be larger size, a better camera with flash possibly or a higher resolution screen. If it got those features I don't think I'd upgrade but it might be worth it for you as a 1st gen owner.

Wow that actually makes me wanna get an Iphone now...:D

I will stick with my Pantech Duo for a lil longer tho atleast...:D:D

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;910511 said:
Man I was so happy to see some of these features listed when I watched the press release. I bet the recent launch of the Cydia app store compelled Apple to finally give in to what everyone really wants.

You could say some of these new features should have been there from the start but its so nice to finally see them go official.

Not to mention I bet this update is a attempt to counter Sprints Palm Pre launch.
Yeah, the iPhone had all the Apple lovers hooked, but because of the lack of some of the above features a lot of people avoided it. Should be interesting to see what this does competition-wise.

Wow that actually makes me wanna get an Iphone now...:D

I will stick with my Pantech Duo for a lil longer tho atleast...:D:D

:D

You're probably better holding off anyways. I bet there will be a larger storage version coming along with the update. I wanted to hold out for a 32GB model but I finally caved in.

I did miss some features my Tilt had but the response of the iPhone completely made up for those lost features. To find out that I'll be getting them back shortly is awesome!

dammit.. my contract is up beginning of may.. ive gotta decide weather to stick with the 1st gen iphone or upgrade to another phone... choices choices...

eh, not much use for me.
A Phone is a Phone for me, i only use it to call and receive.

Lucky for me. My 2 year contract ends at christmas. I may upgrade to new iPhone at Xmas with a new contract. Cuz i love my iphone now!

Back
Top Bottom