ATI Video card

BenMinor

Beta member
Hello,

I just bought a new ATI Radeon HD 4650 512MB GDDR3 AGP Video Card for my computer. I have AGP 8X and so the buss fits fine, but This particular card requires a AMD 3800+ or higher CPU. I have AMD Athlon(tm)XP 3200+ 2.20GHz 512mb RAM. I didn't realize this until after I ordered the card on future shop. What will happen now, can I use it at all still? If I can what will be wrong with it, will it be slower etc. I also have a 450Watt power supply if that makes any difference. Thanks allot

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10128292&catid=25617 This is the card I just bought

your CPU will bottleneck your new GPU card.

it just will not work as fast as it should. that is all.

This card http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10126545&catid=25617 my computer can handle. The ATI I ordered I can still cancel, i got the ATI on sale for 100 dollars. The Nvidia one i just posted a link to is $1,40, should I just buy the nvida one? Or will the ATI still be a better choice even though it will "bottleneck" better. Im not to advanced with computers, I don't know anything about core clock and clock speed.

Im just wondering how much will my performance be compromised, will it be barely noticeable, or will it be just not worth it to get.

Welcome to CF! BenMinor

When looking at ATI.AMD I don't even come up with a 4650 but see a 4550 listed instead for different brands of cards at their support site. You can't expect full performance out of either of the new HD type cards intended for newer boards then the old Socket A/462 model you have there.

The personal assessment here would be to save the money and put it towards a much newer system you will eventually upgrade into rather then tossing too much on an outdated set of hardwares.

PCIe or PCI Express is where you will see actual performance gains over the AGP bus to start with. If you simply looking at replacing the present card and not looking for any great performance gains shop for one of the older models for a lower price until you do move into a new system.

I just a Radeon HD 3650 Sapphire model work a look for quite a bit less at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102814

For the old build there you wouldn't need any more then that. In fact a friend still running an old Asus A7V model board with AGP there just had to replace one card with a 3650 for the old XP build to keep that going.

Is the AMD processor just a little chip? Cant I just buy a new processor for my old machine which will make the new video card work? I just bought the card, the graphics are better but the lag is the same making it pointless.

Or do I need a whole new motherboard? It seems to make sence to just buy a new processor since i already put so much money into this old machine. Im getting a new rig but I want this one to work with this ATI radeon HD 4650 AGP

Well in my opinion, the build is so old, upgrading now is pointless.

You could build a whole new machine for $450 that would blow your current machine away.

So since my new ATI video card is not working because the possessor is to old that it ruins it, if I just buy a new one and put it in The graphics for my games will be how they should be? Does an AMD athlon chip cost allot of money, and do I have to install software or do i just plug the chip/heat sink in and im good to go?

Thx allot, also I was wondering exactly how a processor works anyway?

Back
Top Bottom