ATI Radeon 4850: Over Temp Protect LED on

sbc_wut

Solid State Member
I've recently purchased an ATI Radeon 4850, and the Over Temp Protect LED lights up, and nothing is displayed on the monitor. When I try to hook my monitor up to the ports on the motherboard I also receive a blank screen.
The monitor is functional, and 'wakes up' from standby mode directly after it is connected to any port.
The display worked once when I used an old PNY Geforce 210 card but has not worked after that.
Anyone know what to do?
Specs:
Asus M4A89GTD PRO motherboard
750W Kentek power supply
Radeon 4850 graphics card

Normally you wont be able to use the onboard graphics and a graphics card at the same time (Well at least without changing settings in the BIOS), I would recomend removing the card and then turn you computer on with just the monitor cable pluged into the motherboard and see what you get.

If you get a display then the card could be the fault.

You say your getting a light on the card about overheating ?

Take a look and make sure the fans are spinning on the card itself.

You could also try testing the card in another PCI slot if you have one

Thanks for replying

I've just tried unplugging the card and using the motherboard only with no results.
The cooling fan spins when the computer is on.
I put the Radeon card into a different slot inside the computer, the light was on and it did not display anything.
I attached the card to a different computer, the display did not function but the Over Temp Protect LED was no longer on.
I retried an older GeForce video card on both computers, it functioned on the older computer but not on the one I am currently working on.

Do you think there could be a problem with my motherboard? The card gets warm while it is plugged in, but I don't think its warm enough that would stop working completely. But wouldn't that mean the card should work when plugged into the other computer?

Well if its not working on another machine then my guess is that the card could have been damaged along with perhaps your motherboard on the current system you are working on.

But lets not jump to conclusions, Have you tried resetting the BIOS on the motherboard ?

If not try unplugging the machine and removing the battery on the motherboard leaving it for about 5 - 10 mins and then put it back in along with the graphics card and then hit the power button and see what you get.

UPDATE
Other things you could check is the monitor cable (try swapping for another if you have one) and also make sure that everything is securly pushed down (RAM, 24PIN power and 4 pin power, card, and make sure that the card (if using external power from the PSU) is secure.

Also does the HDD light flicker or make any sound when you turn your computer on and nothing is displayed ?

I reset the BIOS, got the same results.
I made sure everything was properly connected, 24pin, 8pin, video card PSU, ram seems fine, all the proper fans are spinning, front panel and motherboard LEDs functional.
The HDD light is on but doesn't flicker, but I can feel the drive itself spinning. (Not sure if the HDD light would show activity if I haven't installed an OS or configured the BIOS yet?)
I don't have another monitor connector but I have an HDMI that hooks up to my TV, tried that on the motherboard and both the old and new cards. TV recognized there was something plugged in but didn't display anything.

:( Imma be real sad if it turns out I've fried everything :(

Is it a new build you are doing or adding a card to an old build.

If the card is new perhaps try returning it to where you bought it from so they can send you a new one.

You said you tried the card on another PC, does this PC work though onboard graphics ?

Other than that you could perform a strip down, disconnect everything and you could even remove the motherboard and put it on a wooden table. Lay all the parts out as if it was being put back into the case onto the table. I doubt it will be worth removing the CPU heat sink and processor and then putting it back together, but if you feel comfortable doing this then go ahead.

This will tell you if perhaps the case is shorting the motherboard and by rebuilding it you may come across something you didn't see while it was in the case.

Its a new build to replace the other computer. Its pretty clunky and it caught a virus I can't get out but all the hardware works perfectly, along with the onboard graphics.

Do you think it's just the video card or should I be looking to replace my motherboard as well?

Thanks very much for your feedback by the way, you've been very helpful thus far.

Well the fact that the card is not working on your old machine may say that the card is at fault however you are also having trouble with other older cards and the on-board on your new build which is suggesting that the motherboard could also be defected. If its a new build im guessing the parts are still under warranty.

If i was you i would do a bit more searching though different forums as your obviously not the only one with this problem.

I would sugest also if you have not already to join and post on a few more forums out there.

If another member of CF has any idea of how to possibly resolve this issue im sure they will post but if I was at your stage I would possibly try resetting the BIOS again but this time leave the battery out overnight and unplug anything that could retain power such as the PSU.

I actually ran my question through a bunch of forums earlier, and one of the other sites just suggested I test my PSU. Turns out my 8pin and video supply cord both have low voltage, so I'm hoping a simple PSU exchange will solve all my problems.

Yeh could be but would not explain why the on board graphics are not working, Unless the power supply as a whole is defected.

Do you get normal readings for the 24 pin connector to the mobo

Anyway let me know if you ever fix this issue, im interested to find a solution.

Back
Top Bottom