ATI Radeon 3400 - "vpu recover"

mmb42

Baseband Member
Hello

Today twice I got this error:

"VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands. Please tell ATI Technologies about this problem."

Seconds before getting the error I see some weird lines for a couple seconds then, the screen goes black for about two seconds then you see the error.

Is my graphics card dying?

I also took this screenshot of temps..if that even matters....
4s04dt.jpg

Run driver sweeper, reboot, download the newest version of catalyst frow amd.com, install, reboot, and it should quit.

Report back with your results.

Hi

Well the drivers are not compatible (apparently) with my old azz version of windows. I am buying Windows 7 as soon as possible. So I am hoping then I can load the new windows, and get all new drivers for my hardware.

However, that problem has now stopped. It happened three times yesterday around the time I made the post. Then stopped. I took my computer and cleaned the entire thing out. I also removed my heat sink and cleaned it.

When I did remove the heat sink I noticed the "stuff" under it was very dry looking...here is a pic:

24l36di.jpg

Before and since I've cleaned the computer out, it's now once in awhile restarting itself for no reason. This started around the same time yesterday as getting that error that I orignally posted about. It happened three times yesterday, and once already today.

You have an A780GM-A? wow that board is a nightmare. I have it in my htpc, and it used to restart on me all the time. The only way I could make it stop was by going into the BIOS and setting memory to unganged.

Run a memtest before and after doing it.

oh and that 'stuff' is thermal paste. clean it off and apply more. I recommend Arctic Silver 5.

Thanks for the tips. I've actually never had a restart problem since I bought it over two years ago (I think thats about when I bought it)

Hi guys now I am really messed up.

After my last post my computer started refusing to work at all. Basically I could turn it on, it would start loading windows, then all teh sudden my monitor would go black and into "power saving mode" (which it only does if left on when computer is turned off) except thats it. The computer didnt turn off or anything. So I took it to make sure all the hareware was fine. Knowing I need to upgrade to windows 7. Anyways they tell me (the place i got my comp) that yes as soon as he updated the bios he was able to get it to normally load windows. I took it home and was able to load windows like normal and get my files off. At this time I purchased Windows 7.

Yesterday windows 7 comes and today I had NO problems installing it. Computer working fine. Got it installed....was able to watch a HD youtube video etc. I left the computer on and went to eat. Come back and see my monitor is in that same "power saving mode" computer is on, but nothing works. Move the mouse. Nothing.

I turn it off by the power cable as its restart button does nothing as usual. Turn it on, hit the on button and it starts up right away but still my monitor says nothing but "power saving mode" like the computer is off when its clearly not off.

What the heck is going on here? After installing windows it was working PERFECTLY. Then suddenly back to this on but not on bs.

Back
Top Bottom