ATI overtakes nVidia in discrete graphics marketshare

Status
Not open for further replies.
NVIDIA lost out on a lot of monies by having to wait so long to introduce Fermi...and how Fermi was so fail when it finally did launch.
I wouldn't quite say fail, but certainly underwhelming.

^indeed. Still, I can play any game with just one of my 480s. Maybe I'll put the other up as a prize for the next contest :p

I saw this coming with AMD's onboard video solutions. They run circles around nVidia's best offerings, and while intel holds the largest market share for obvious reasons, it can't keep up performance wise either.

I saw this coming with AMD's onboard video solutions. They run circles around nVidia's best offerings, and while intel holds the largest market share for obvious reasons, it can't keep up performance wise either.

Intel isn't that far behind. Last time I looked the GMA HD was roughly on par with 790GX and the on die graphics on sandy bridge are supposed to have double the stream processors and clock speed of those parts.

Intel isn't that far behind. Last time I looked the GMA HD was roughly on par with 790GX and the on die graphics on sandy bridge are supposed to have double the stream processors and clock speed of those parts.

The on die graphics of the newest i3/i5's you mean? I have a laptop with an i5 450m with the graphics on the i5 die. So this should see much better graphics performance than my other laptop which has a GMA 4500MHD?

Well, seeing as I never said they were way far behind, but that they just couldn't keep up performance wise currently, I remember seeing multiple benchmarks about the i3 and i5 graphic processors still not being able to keep up with specifically, the 790GX.

The Intel Core i3 530 Review - Great for Overclockers & Gamers - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

According to anandtech, the i5 661 was all over the place, only performing better in a couple scenarios...and we're talking and new CPU (at the time) competing against a technology that had been out for a year and a half prior. Hence why I say intel can't really keep up.

Now to be fair, it's the exact opposite with AMD vs Intel right now in the CPU market. AMD has been having a lot of trouble catching up with Intel ever since the Core series, but they are making strides, and excelling in other areas, such as not costing an arm and a leg.

The point is AMD has really made some leaps and bounds since they got ATI under their belt with their graphics chipsets.

The only reason we got the Core series and now the iX series is because of AMD. If it hadn't been for AMD kicking the stuffing out of the PIII and P4 lines we would still be rocking on 200MHz chips and thinking we had it good.

I will stay with Nvdia and see what happens. I am not gonna buy another GPU for a long while. Imma just see what happens. I was gonna go out and buy a fermi when it first came out but I heard of the problems and I shyed away. I got a house to renovate so the GPU can wait. The timing might be better that way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom