ATI or Nvidia?

I had to learn the hard way that ATI doesn't look that great when it comes to video watching, especially in HD, the quality is much better on my old Nvida 8500gt. But yes for gaming I think ATI is bomb and for $155 my HD 5770 gave me 54 fps in GTA IV, I'm very happy.

Bullshit.

my 4850 destroys Blu Ray movies on my 1080p Vizio.
ATI HD cards are called HD for a reason.

do u have an nvidia card to compare it to? as others have said CUDA is a much better quality video renderer? i guess you would call it that? My 8500gt nvidia card video quality looked much much better and less grainy than my 5770, many others have had issues with video quality on radeon cards also

do u have an nvidia card to compare it to? as others have said CUDA is a much better quality video renderer? i guess you would call it that? My 8500gt nvidia card video quality looked much much better and less grainy than my 5770, many others have had issues with video quality on radeon cards also

GPU-based Video converting <> playback quality

say what? lol
"It is pretty well-known that CUDA is much more efficient at decoding video." --Foothead
I guess I was looking for decoding and not rendering? I haven't found a way to improve the quality of video on my 5770 yet tho. If there is a way let me know

CUDA owns at hardware video decoding. It doesn't mean that ATI cards look bad, but nvidia just looks better. My 9600 GSO destroys my 4850 x2 at blu-Ray playback.

For gaming, ATI is king right now. The 5xxx cards win in price/performance by a longshot over the GTX 4xx. They also run cooler and use far less power. Nvidia does have 3Dvision and physx though, but most people will never fork out the money for 3Dvision, and physX destroys your framerate without a dedicated PPU.

So OP, what are you doing on your computer, and what is your budget?

This is really kinda a personal preference war. From what my peers say:

ATI is cheaper but it overheats more.

NVIDIA is a little more expensive and more reliable.

I don't agree with either sides of this, I have used both manufacturers, and I think they've done a great job.

This is really kinda a personal preference war. From what my peers say:

ATI is cheaper but it overheats more.

NVIDIA is a little more expensive and more reliable.

I don't agree with either sides of this, I have used both manufacturers, and I think they've done a great job.

get a vapor X lol

Who said ATI overheats more? I have never seen an ATI card overheat beyond its thermal threshold at stock vGPU. Same goes for nVIDIA, but some of them can get close.

Right now, the HD 5000s are MUCH cooler than GTX 400s.

get a vapor X lol

VaporX is kind of a scam for some cards. I know for sure that the 5770 vaporX actually runs hotter than a reference v2 model. The 5750 version has the same cooler, so I can only assume the same goes for it.

Reference models are fine. The only time ATI really screwed up the cooler was on the reference 4850, but those disappeared very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom