Ati Driver Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dale5605

Daemon Poster
I haven't heard anything about this but according to beedub ATI has driver difficulties. However it seems things have turned around with the catalyst 5.6 drivers released only a few days ago.

ATI Catalyst Drivers Named Most Stable?
Word has it that ATI's newly released Catalyst 5.6 drivers are the most stable in all the land:

In an independent quality and stability test by AppLabs (formerly KeyLabs), ATI's recently released Catalyst 5.6 Software Suite proved to be more stable than the equivalent publicly available NVIDIA offering. An executive summary of this test is now available and the full Display Adapter Stability Test Report issued by AppLabs and ATI Technologies Inc. will be available June 24, 2005.

ATI's Catalyst 5.6 Drivers Available
ATI Technologies today announced the release of a major upgrade to Catalyst, ATIÂ’s comprehensive software suite that enhances the companyÂ’s portfolio of high-performance graphics processors.

The publicly available Catalyst 5.6 represents a number of firsts in graphics software including a real-time video preview with on-the-fly adjustments, monthly software upgrades for notebook PCs and plug-and-play HDTV connectivity. Addressing a range of market segments and user needs, Catalyst 5.6 delivers on a commitment to offer certified software with the highest levels of stability, performance and ease of use.

With Catalyst 5.6, ATI is introducing some new performance enhancements with certain games. Utilizing Catalyst AI, ATI has implemented some specific performance enhancements in DOOM 3 and Call of Duty by managing memory usage more efficiently. ATI has also made vertex data storage more efficient in Chronicles of Rid**** resulting in a performance increase.

One global optimization that ATI created are some Z-optimizations; ATI has made the removal of un-seen pixels through the pixel shaders more efficient.

with Catalyst 5.5, there was more than 80MB of memory being used, and this was without even having CCC open, but with Catalyst 5.6, memory use has been reduced to around 15MB.

Just an article I found. Enjoy. :cool:

source: http://www.gdhardware.com/

hercules_upw said:
I always like updating drivers.... More power!!
Nice computer hercules, similar to my AMD system in many ways. :cool:

I can't seem to overclock on my gigabyte though so I'm buying a DFI lanparty. :)

I installed them, and after a rocky start to them, I do have to say they have really stabalized my framerates in many games...not such a big gap between minimum and maximum framerate. The only problem I've found so far is when playing Doom 3 with vsync...performance is much worse than it once was.

dale5605 said:
Did you enable Triple Buffering?

Yes, thats the first thing I made sure of when I noticed the problem. However, the image tearing, while it still happens, isn't as bad with these drivers as it was with the past releases, so it isn't totally unbearable to leave Vsync off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom