ATI/AMD may be going down the tubes..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can have my mother-in-laws closet. It's a walk-in, so there should be plenty of room.

I dunno... the other walk-in is off the office/computer room. That may be a better choice.

You can have my mother-in-laws closet. It's a walk-in, so there should be plenty of room.

I dunno... the other walk-in is off the office/computer room. That may be a better choice.

Hey Trotter does you MB have a Multimedia box in it? in the MB i got all the Cat5e from the house terminating there as well as the RJ6-Quad Shield Coax. its pretty handy. Just plug in the Lan Cable into the wall

Cool. But I don't think so.

I've already got my layout figured. We're going to be running two-three rigs on the connection... mine, my wife's, and her mom's. I've already got the hardware. I may have to either run a cat5 for my MiL, or get her a wireless adapter, as she will probably keep her computer in her room instead of the office.

AMD/ATI needs a miracle at this point.
No, they just need to keep up with their R&D, which they have been doing.

they will have a strong market in the graphics department. wow that's such a fanboy statement.
Why's that?
Why will they?
Because they have a good R&D team, good products, and a good roadmap.
Because the R600's were so friggin' hyped up like they were going to be the next best thing since sliced bread?
They still are good cards.
Have you had a look at the 3dmark06 top scores lately?
And then they were a total superHOT flop.
Yes, they run hot. They're still fast cards. They're just not as fast as 8800 Ultra's (at STOCK)
Even NVIDIA's entry level card the 8800GTS over shadowed the 2900HD.
until better drivers came out.
So we are to believe that somehow AMD will revamp the R670
RV670 doesn't need revamping. It's already out, and it is a fast, cheap and power efficient product.
is just a dual core RV670
and R700's and they will somehow beat NVIDIA and regain market share?
First of all, they don't actually need to have the fastest card to be successful in the market.
Second of all RV670 is a fast, cheap product, and is very good on power consumption. So yes, it will sell. Even if it isn't as fast as an 8800 Ultra.
Third of all, even if you're trying not to imply it, I can tell that you do not believe that R700 will be a good product.
which is just an assumption.
I'm not a fanboy so I'm not so sure.
see above.

And for the record, no I am not a fanboy of ATI. I own a friggin 8800 GT. And before that, I was running an 8800 GTS 320MB card.
And this is on a motherboard with an Nforce 590 SLI chipset.

No, they just need to keep up with their R&D, which they have been doing.

Why's that?
Because they have a good R&D team, good products, and a good roadmap.
They still are good cards.
Have you had a look at the 3dmark06 top scores lately?
Yes, they run hot. They're still fast cards. They're just not as fast as 8800 Ultra's (at STOCK)
until better drivers came out.
RV670 doesn't need revamping. It's already out, and it is a fast, cheap and power efficient product.
is just a dual core RV670
First of all, they don't actually need to have the fastest card to be successful in the market.
Second of all RV670 is a fast, cheap product, and is very good on power consumption. So yes, it will sell. Even if it isn't as fast as an 8800 Ultra.
Third of all, even if you're trying not to imply it, I can tell that you do not believe that R700 will be a good product.
which is just an assumption.
see above.

And for the record, no I am not a fanboy of ATI. I own a friggin 8800 GT. And before that, I was running an 8800 GTS 320MB card.
And this is on a motherboard with an Nforce 590 SLI chipset.

Yet you've got a crossfire sig? Let me guess... For Folding right?

The title of this thread was "ATI/AMD may be going down the tubes." Which could be interpreted in many ways. I replied to this thread from a Financial Stand point. AMD is in trouble financially. Do some simple research and you will find out that statement is true. Their recent issues with new product bugs, glitches and delays further hurt AMD's bottom line for 2007. They do not expect to turn a profit until late 2008. <--- Which is purely projected.

Sure AMD/ATI has some good products. Sure they have a good R&D department. But, there are many other factors in business that can bring a company to it's knees.

Factor 1.
Financially Screwed (Explained already)

Factor 2.
Bad Management

Much of AMD's troubles this year have been the result of poor management from CEO Ruiz and others. With widespread technical problems hindering its ability to get Barcelona chips out to customers in mass quantities, AMD lost out on a significant portion of the market and the opportunity to (possibly) turn things around.

And while some may call this an error in production or some kind of technical glitch that was beyond the control of management, I'm not so quick to agree. By promising too much and not delivering on those promises, AMD single-handedly created a firestorm that quickly became a Page Ranking nightmare.

At least Ruiz realizes it though: "We blew it and we're very humbled by it and we learned from it and we're not going to do it again," Ruiz told financial analysts in New York Thursday.

Article Here:
It's time for AMD to give it up (or fire executives) | The Digital Home - Don Reisinger's take on the tech closest to home - CNET Blogs

See apok. all you've basically said is "AMD/ATI makes good products".

Good Products do not always save a company Apok. Think, "BetaMAX".
Now I realize that the abandonment of BetaMAX did not bring down Sony, but my point is the best product isn't always the most popular and the most widely used. (Marketing and Management play a tremendous part).

the rv670 has been received with a LOT of enthusiasm. The performance in that price bracket is very hard to beat. ATI/AMD are in no danger of losing the market.

Yet you've got a crossfire sig? Let me guess... For Folding right?
Because I happen to like Crossfire. Which has no bearing whatsoever on my stance to Nvidia products.

the fact is, I like Nvidia products aswell. That's why I'm using them.

The title of this thread was "ATI/AMD may be going down the tubes." Which could be interpreted in many ways. I replied to this thread from a Financial Stand point. AMD is in trouble financially. Do some simple research and you will find out that statement is true. Their recent issues with new product bugs, glitches and delays further hurt AMD's bottom line for 2007. They do not expect to turn a profit until late 2008. <--- Which is purely projected.
yes, AMD have been losing some money. But that doesn't mean they will continue to lose money in the future. In fact, it's already decreased by a lot.

In fact, they actually lost more money paying for the ATI acquisition than losing revenue.

Sure AMD/ATI has some good products. Sure they have a good R&D department. But, there are many other factors in business that can bring a company to it's knees.
and AMD are doing a lot to prevent that from happening.
And, there are
http://www.cnet.com/8301-13506_1-9833948-17.html
See apok. all you've basically said is "AMD/ATI makes good products".
All you've basically said is AMD has been losing money. Which does not mean they will continue to lose money.
In fact, by your own admission, they will probably start making a profit in 2008.

Good Products do not always save a company Apok.
But a lot of the time, they do.

Apok. give me a few minutes to go and beat my head against the wall.
.... ouch ok I'm back.

Anyway. You failed to mention anything in your last quote-a-thon about the poor management of AMD/ATI or shall we say, (The lack there of).

Apok. regardless of how many times you can quote what I type it still isn't going to change the fact that AMD/ATI is seriously under the gun right now. They are under enormous pressure to turn a profit in late 2008. Which means posting "LOSSES" in at least 6 consecutive quarters. They could be facing a huge "Intel" nail and a "NVIDIA" coffin if they don't step it up.

oh and apok. why exactly do you like Crossfire again?

Anyway. You failed to mention anything in your last quote-a-thon about the poor management of AMD/ATI or shall we say, (The lack there of).
Do you work at AMD?
no?
so how do you know what's going on in management?

The fact is, yes, AMD is in a difficult position. And it's not because of management. It's because Intel has a strong product that's hard to compete against.

But their RV670 is a very good product. Even if it isn't as fast as an 8800 Ultra, it's a cheap, fast, and power efficient product that is selling.
Apok. regardless of how many times you can quote what I type it still isn't going to change the fact that AMD/ATI is seriously under the gun right now.
And it's because Intel has a very strong product that's hard for them to compete against.
oh and apok. why exactly do you like Crossfire again?
Because it can give very high performance.

And I am going to remind you again, that my liking crossfire has no bearing on my stance towards Nvidia products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom