ATA 100/133 compatibility

wedroptozero

Baseband Member
Hey I am looking to upgrade my computer by purchasing a new CPU and Motherboard, but I am wondering if I will have conflicts with my current hardware.

Right now I run a Dell 8200:
Intel 1.7gHz
512mb RDRAM
Unknown Motherboard
Dell 40Gb OS drive ATA100
Seagate 80Gb drive ATA100

I seek to purchase a new AMD 64 3000+ Newcastle chip and motherboard. I am aware that I will have to replace the RDRAM with DDR but I am unsure of whether or not a motherboard with ATA133 will support my hard drives. I don't care if they preform at the 100 level instead of 133, I am just wondering if I would have to buy a new hard drive as well. Does anyone know if it will support 100?

They should be perfectly compatible. A motherboard that supports ATA 133 will, by default, support slower speeds. I believe. Well, I know most do, but double-check the motherboard specs to be sure.

i would get a winchester or a venice core not a newcastle, they make less heat and are better in general

Thanks

Thanks for the help so fast, I figured it would support a slower speed but thanks for confirming that. Also, I just read a bunch of reviews and am leaning towards a Venice chip now.

Back
Top Bottom