At what point can I rule out a programming language?

Lalien

Solid State Member
So I have been taking various programming courses over the past few semesters.
I have taken HTML, Javascript, MySQL and PHP.

So far, the ones that have caught my fancy are HTML and PHP. However, I need MySQL to do PHP... As I'm doing this MySQL course, I just find myself hating it more and more. I don't understand the fun of being a database administrator and overall it makes me admire the people who do it even more. It is just so boring.

When it comes to HTML, it is not the most exciting thing especially when you are fumbling with CSS elements. But since I chose the web developer path, it is just something I have to learn.

Javascript is just nothing to me at the moment. I never really got past the jQuery stage because I was just so happy with the DOM elements it gives me! I got to make very cool interfaces with such simple and clean code. It is awesome. But when it comes to the functions, I just had absolutely no interest in it.

On the side of PHP, the code is just so messy. There are times when I find myself cross-eyed from the messy code and wondering how I came up with all of this madness. However, I like the results it has given me. I hear Ruby On Rails is fun, and as I'm studying it, I like how simple yet sophisticated it is.

If I don't like a programming language, is there something wrong with me? Could there be something that I'm missing? How many programming languages did you guys have to go through before you finally found your niche? I like the whole concept of putting logic together, using both sides of my brain and creating some great, so I'm not giving up being a programmer.

I'm thinking about trying Ruby, but I can't find an accredited course for it in my area to save my life. :neutral:

Nope, nothing wrong wit you if you don't like a language :tongue: I feel the exact same way about MySQL. PHP I'm fine with though. My next job is going to focus heavily on open source technologies -- PHP, HTML, bash scripting, etc etc. Linux server admin is what I'm hoping for :tongue:

Like iFargle said, nothing wrong with you. I absolutely hate web language stuff (specifically JavaScript). MySQL I don't really like to do either, but don't really mind.

I found my niche really with .NET (opposite end of the spectrum of Fargle :p); specifically C#. Started out with C++ and then found C# and love it.

I also started out with C++ and then found C#.

And then I had to take a course with assembly/machine language.... I began to doubt my interest in field of study for a while.

^ Thankfully (unless you're going to be an embedded systems engineer) machine languages aren't used much :tongue:

Actually I thought it was really fun. I really liked my assembly classes.

Actually I thought it was really fun. I really liked my assembly classes.

It was interesting, don't get me wrong...
[Rant]
but the guy teaching the class I took had expectations that everyone already knew and had Linix (Unbuntu) installed and available. His attitude of 'you should know this and this should only be a review' really was bad for a learning atmosphere.

He continued to teach the class and assign assignments for 3 weeks until he realized no one knew how to work with Linux and then spent a week getting us up to speed and showing us how to get access to everything we needed to know to start coding.

[/Rant]

I also started out with C++ and then found C#.

And then I had to take a course with assembly/machine language.... I began to doubt my interest in field of study for a while.

I had to take an assembly course as well. It was meh... I had a better experience with my professor though. He knew none of us really would be working with assembly after that class, so he just gave us introductions on stuff for assembly. Basic concepts, basic programs, etc.

It was interesting, don't get me wrong...
[Rant]
but the guy teaching the class I took had expectations that everyone already knew and had Linix (Unbuntu) installed and available. His attitude of 'you should know this and this should only be a review' really was bad for a learning atmosphere.

He continued to teach the class and assign assignments for 3 weeks until he realized no one knew how to work with Linux and then spent a week getting us up to speed and showing us how to get access to everything we needed to know to start coding.

[/Rant]

All of our classes expected we know the Linux command line. At the beginning of every quarter the school offers a small class on command line basics. I've taught it :tongue:

All of our classes expected we know the Linux command line. At the beginning of every quarter the school offers a small class on command line basics. I've taught it :tongue:

Completely different for us. Even the course description describes it as an advanced C++ class (While I know we could do it in Visual Studio and in C++) and made no mention of Linux. To my knowledge, that is the only class in our school that uses Linux and the prerequisites were all C++.

So it was simply confusing. But once we knew the command lines and how to actually get started, it wasn't too bad. :)

Nothing wrong with you at all! I'm currently a Computer Science major at my university and I find myself hating every programming language I've learned so far more or less, and as XGC Forsakend had said, I am also finding myself doubting my field of study and my ability at it.

With that being said, it's not as bad as it sounds. I find HTML pretty easy and also PHP, but I'm not a big fan of Java or C++....yet. I think, with most things, the more you practice and get better at it, it will become more enjoyable and easier to use. As far as MYSQL, I dont know why everyone is hating on that lol I find it pretty easy....repetitive, but easy.

Back
Top Bottom