AT&T sucks, but I am stuck.. so how can we polish this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
Ok so I am stuck using basic dsl for internet, it's... well it sucks. bad.
But it got worse, room mates have like 5 wireless devices leaching the connection, which makes even the best looking game feel like crud.

So...I want to limit wireless speed. But the router I have I went into the options and the lowset setting I can get is:

Additional Settings (defaults recommended)
Maximum Connection Rate:

1 Mbps

But I am not sure that works, what it feels like is as soon as a wireless device connects, my WIRED computer and xbox360 no longer get any speed. If I am in a game - I suddenly lag, or completely disconnect, even on basic flash type games. On Xbox my ping skyrockets and I usually get booted from whatever I was doing - or disconnect from Xbox LIve message appears.

I just reset it to 1Mbps hoping that won't occur, but things still feel sluggish to me, is there a way to set it up where Wired connections get priority speeds over wireless?

Like lets say there are 2 wireless devices and 1 wired.
100% speed split 3 ways
Make it where the 1 wired get 50% of the max speed
and each wireless only gets 25% each

Making the wired connection twice as fast in this instance, for data transfer. More devices would lessen the % greatly but typically we don't have more then 2 wired and 2 wireless on at once. It'd be nice if each wired device could get more of the bandwidth priority then the wireless - since most of the wireless devices are like NDS's and stuff - but for some reason our router is giving ALL available speed to wireless ><

FYI, Speakeasy.net last results:

Download Speed: 2530 kbps (316.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 390 kbps (48.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

So yes, it's poop speeds. But I am the only one wanting a faster 'net speed so they voted 'no'

I thought changing the max wirelss to 1 Mbps would limit ALL wireless speeds together.. meaning no matter how many devices they got on with - it only had 1 Mbps to share between them- is this the case? or is it giving each wireless device a maximum of 1 Mbps? (which would mean 3 devices on eats all the DSL speed we have, + some)

Ok so I am stuck using basic DSL for Internet, it's... But it got worse, room mates have like 5 wireless devices leaching the connection, which makes even the best looking game feel like crud. So...I want to limit wireless speed. But the router I have I went into the options and the lowest setting I can get is:

I thought changing the max wireless to 1 Mbps would limit ALL wireless speeds together.. meaning no matter how many devices they got on with - it only had 1 Mbps to share between them- is this the case? or is it giving each wireless device a maximum of 1 Mbps? (which would mean 3 devices on eats all the DSL speed we have, + some)

I have my Computer's Connection set to 100Mbps and one wire (Ethernet cable) goes directly to the Port on the back of the WiFi Router (the thing with the Antenna) and the DSL Modem (the thing with the Cable TV Connector) goes to the WiFi Router. That means I get the fastest speed possible and what goes out (over-the-air to the Roommates) is as quick as the WiFi Router sends it.

You should set everything (change 1 Mbps to 10 or 100 Mbps) to be as fast as possible and use QoS (in the WiFi Router or (more difficult) add it to Windows and route the Connection through your Computer) to slow things down, DO NOT use the Connection speeds to bottle-neck your Connection, use QoS to partition the speeds to each User. :angel:

Test your speeds here: Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and test the quality here: Pingtest.net - The Global Broadband Quality Test .

Report back the results.

With "Normal" DSL (I don't know about "Basic" DSL) you should get over 20+Mbps down and over 0.45 up. The Pingtest quality should be at least a "B" (and preferably "A" for best game play).

20+Mbps on DSL? What country are you from?

What router do you have? Not all routers support QoS but if yours does then I would go that route. With QoS you could have somebody trying to watch a video and your game wouldn't lag. They'll probably get so frustrated at how slow everything is loading and decide to join your side on upgrading to something faster. So messing with the QoS could be a win-win situation for you.

20+Mbps on DSL? What country are you from?

What router do you have? Not all routers support QoS but if yours does then I would go that route. With QoS you could have somebody trying to watch a video and your game wouldn't lag. They'll probably get so frustrated at how slow everything is loading and decide to join your side on upgrading to something faster. So messing with the QoS could be a win-win situation for you.
I'm from North America, often our Service is quite good but it varies depending upon the Load.

QoS can be added to Windows if your Router does not have it.

I think South Korea has the fastest Service but not from here to there.
Try http://www.speedtest.net/ to do your own Testing.

Here is one of my fastest Tests, I did some tweaking. :p

1263783179.png

Uh.. what?

First off... there's only 1 device. The modem/router/wifi from At&T 2wire 2701hg-b if you needed to know detail.

Secondly - there is no CATV connection on the back - that would be a cable modem, not a DSL modem.

DSL is Phone line based. Faster then Dial up Slower then Cable. So there is a Phone Line connecting it to the wall, with a filter on it.

I fail to see how changing Wireless Settings will effect Wired Settings. As turning OFF wireless also has no effect on Wired, not even 'positive' effects (like getting super speeds)

Basic speeds for Dsl are 1/10th yours. You, have a form of cable, or High End super-expensive DSL. How much does your cost per month, and from what provider?

I highly suspect cable however, since you have a cable tv connection on your device.

Pingtest is a B
and my speeds are never above 2.63mbp/s download and 0.38mbp/s upload (averages, of course, slight fluctuations always occur)

1265760333.png

AND doing some research your on Shaw Communications (canada based) CABLE service. Your not on DSL, and apparently either SHAW sucks, or your "tweaking" has killed your upload rates.
Shaw website:
http://www.shaw.ca/

Cable TV,Internet and Phoneline all in 1 bundle kits start at like $100/month - 8x what I am paying now (roughly)
FYI if I wanted to pay $100/month I'd get a Fiber Optic :
FiOS Faster up to 25 Mbps starting at $64.99 /mo
or at least a high grade Cable, with a 12Mbp/s speed for only $20/month (6 months, other rates after that, etc)

Firstly, dsl isn't any slower or faster than cable.... They all come in different speeds.

Secondly, by limiting the roommates speed you allow more room for your wired... But you'll limit the xbox too.

Youre stuck without spending money. Buy a router with qos and daisy chain them.

Thirdly, all of non-comercial internet in Canada has a 0.5mb/s upload, and its all expensive.

umm how do I limit the Xbox? It's wired in as well.

And honestly no luck anyway I still feel the massive issues even with the limitation.

I hate my ISP

If you're on Shaw that means you're in a city. Why don't you just switch to Yak or if you really like calling about your bill every month, Rogers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom