ASUS windows 7 backup to usb drive

jasonmanley87

Solid State Member
Hello. I just bought the asus eee pc 1015pem (wonderful computer) and I'm planning on installing Linux to it. Notice I had earlier threads where I was going to get the viliv n5 but decided not to because I was getting zero responses about it and I've concluded that gma 500 sucks completely and gma 3150 (which this uses) is much better for Linux by comparison.

Anyway how do I make a recovery "CD" using a usb drive? And how big of a usb stick will I need to have/get anyway? In windows 7 here there is a make system recovery cd which is laughable as it only supports cd/dvd and not optical drives. i went into that and it fails because well duh there's no cd drive nor would I want one on this computer.

Thank you for your help
Jason

well i'm thinking of creating a partition in my 250 gb external hard drive (which for now sits unused) um which filesystem type would I need for that? ntfs? for some reason that drive actually didn't work well with windows even when having a fat filesystem (windows didn't recognize it, even though it was simply a usb mass storage device...). idk it's weird. how much space would i need in such a partition anyway? the size of my main partition here on the machine itself is about 110 gb, but i know the sizes of system files takes less than that.

also how does the recovery process actually work? does this partition need to be bootable? does it simply just boot that partition and go from there?

unrelated topic, why does sometimes randomly my keyboard cursor go to where my mouse cursor is placed? am i hitting some button on accident or something on the trackpad on accident? remember the laptop i'm using is the asus 1015pem.

To simplify my question, I know there is the create system image option which I would have a separate partition (is that even necessary?) on one of my external hard drives. The question is that if I make that bootable, can I just boot from that partition directly without using a system recovery dvd?

Also, if I install ubuntu or something and wipe the partition table, will the "Advanced Boot Options" menu still show up?

You would not need a separate partition. When you create the VHD (Image file) it will create a directory like this:
WindowsImageBackup
│
â””[PC NAME]
-│
-├[Backup TIMESTAMP]
-│ │
-│ ├8ee03cbe-97ac-11e0-a1e2-806e6f6e6963.vhd
-│ └8ee03cbf-97ac-11e0-a1e2-806e6f6e6963.vhd
-├[Catalog]
-│ │
-│ ├BackupGlobalCatalog
-│ └GlobalCatalog
-â””MediaId

Then, when you want to restore the Windows VHD file, you can pop in any Windows Vista/7 installation disc and then press F8 at the "Install Now" screen. Select Restore Computer from system image and it should detect the image file granted it's on an attached USB device.

Edit: After creating the Windows Image File, you will also get the option to create an "System repair disc" which can thus be used to restore your image.

Back
Top Bottom