ASUS sabertooth P67, is 50mm fan needed?

theberzerker

Solid State Member
Dose installing the extra 50mm fan for the ASUS Sabertooth P67 help out? I just order my computer parts from tigerdirect.com for my new build. Also I have been out of the computer scene for a while (10 years) and so with my setup I have here please let me know if it is a decent setup or not. Here are the parts that I ordered.

1. Intel core i5 2500k (CPU)
  2. ASUS Sabertooth P67 (mobo)
  3. Asus DRW (drive)
  4. Corsair vengeances pc12800 16gb (ram)
  5. Corsair 750 atx (PSU)
  6. Kingston HyperX (memory cooler fan)
  7. Corsair Hydro H50 liquid cooler (CPU cooler)
  8. WD Caviar black 1TB (HDD)
  9. CM HAF 922 case with extra 200mm fan for side and 120mm fan for bottom (5 fans total)
  10. GeForce GTX 560ti (video card)

So I just wanted to know if I get the 50mm fan for the ASUS Sabertooth mobo will it make a big difference? I heard somewhere that having too many fans are not good, is that true? I always thought that the more air flow you have the better, but what do I know I have been out of the computer scene for too long. Also let me know if the build I got is at least a decent one. This build is mainly for watching videos in HD and streaming them online. I will probably play some games on it as well but that's not the real reason for this PC. I just want a fast PC when I surf the net and watch videos. If you have any suggestion please let me know.

it really depends on where the fan is aiming, tell us and we can go from there.
if at the mobo(north bridge/south bridge) yes it will help and besides its only a few dollars we are talking about for a cooler system, its worth it.

the fan goes on the mobo facing down since the ASUS sabertooth p67 mobo has that thermal shield that covers the whole mobo.

the (sheild) is one big heatsink? is so then i personaly would get the fan it will keep the important mobo parts cool.

You're wasting your money. That "thermal shield" has no fins to dissipate heat from, so the fan won't do much good. The board was designed by Asus to run as it is, so adding another fan to it isn't going to decrease temps significant enough to matter. As long as the case you're using has good air flow, that's more than enough.

You're wasting your money. That "thermal shield" has no fins to dissipate heat from, so the fan won't do much good. The board was designed by Asus to run as it is, so adding another fan to it isn't going to decrease temps significant enough to matter. As long as the case you're using has good air flow, that's more than enough.

ok so i have a question then. if i was to get the fan would it hinder me more than help me? like i said before i read somewhere before that said too many fan isnt good and might actually cause your pc to over heat due to too many fans because of the placement of the fans and the amount of fan being used.

Mostly accurate. You want a concise path for the air to move inside your case. If you can find a spot for it that contributes to air flow instead of just blindly pointing it at the motherboard, that would be best.

I'm a fan of positive pressure cases, where you pump in more air than you exhaust, as it ensures that the case always has a steady supply of air. Negative air pressure is better suited for cases with not as many fan mounts, it blows more air out the back (or exterior) of the case than it takes in with fans.

Back
Top Bottom