ASUS A8N-SLI RAID Problems

Nihsnek

Baseband Member
Hi,

I had to buy a new motherboard since my old Asus A8N-E died. My HDs should still be fine, but I'm having issues configuring the raid/bios settings in order to get my 2 HDs to boot as one with Raid 0. My old board, a lot like the new one, just used nvraid and it was simple. This new one uses nvraid or Silicon raid controllers. I've tried both, and I keep getting a "hard disk error, please insert system disk" whenever I try to boot. I've checked and changed with my bios settings for a few hours, and tried re-making the raid setup about a billion times now. No luck.

Here's what I have at the moment:
HD plugged into red(silicon controller) sata port 1
HD plugged into red(silicon controller) sata port 2

-

Raid 0 setup using both drives as striped and bootable.

--

No IDE drives, floppy, cd-drive, dvd-drive, etc. at all plugged into mobo. Has anyone successfully done a raid setup with this board? If so, how?

You have to reinstall the operating system after you set it up. Have you done that yet?

The red SATA connectors = Silicon RAID - Black SATA connectors = NVRAID.

If your using the red SATA connectors turn off the NVRAID controller then turn on the Silicon RAID controller and configure it with F4 during start up.

You have to reinstall the operating system after you set it up. Have you done that yet?

What? No, I shouldn't need to. I already have Windows XP and all of my files on these 2 hard drives. I've been using these drives for a few years...just got a new mobo.

The red SATA connectors = Silicon RAID - Black SATA connectors = NVRAID.

If your using the red SATA connectors turn off the NVRAID controller then turn on the Silicon RAID controller and configure it with F4 during start up.

Yep, tried and done. Still not working. I'm suspecting it's some slight bios setting I'm missing.

Have you installed the chipset drivers for the motherboard?

I have this board and haven't had a problem setting up a RAID array.

But I have seen others with similar problems when moving their RAID 0 array to a new motherboard. Also an array configured with an Intel controller won't work with a NVRAID controller, for example.

So the array was configured on your old board with the NVIDIA nForce 4 Ultra chipset so you will need to use the black SATA ports and use the NVIDIA nForce 4 SLI chipset controller to retain consistency.

But also make sure the array settings are the same. Stripe size mainly.

I'm going to find an Asus A8N-E board instead of my SLI one. Hopefully if I find an identical one the drivers will be the same.

Back
Top Bottom