ASUS A8N-E: Setting up RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhouse

Solid State Member
I've just taken ownership of a brand new PC that has an ASUS A8N-E motherboard and 2 x 250GB Hard Drives. I understand that the motherboard can be configured for RAID 0 or 1. Having very little knowledge in this area, how do I go about setting up RAID 1 (mirrored I think)? The company that I bought the PC from don't offer configuring RAID as part of the service!! The PC is already running O/S Windows XP Home Edition and has been pre-installed with a bunch of other software - Office 2003, Nero, etc, etc. Any help, tutorials, advice would be gratefully received. Please ask away if you have any questions in order to help me out.

I don't think you can setup RAID on home edition, because you would have to change your harddrive from basic to dynamic and home edition doesn't support dynamic disk.

You can set up RAID 1 on Windows 2000 and XP Pro.

Are you mirroring for security? As it will slow down your system slightly and reduce 500GB to 250GB, but will create a more fault tolerant storage system.

Basically it is for security. I do a bit of freelance web designing and am using IIS on my PC to test the website I build. I also have a large collection of client related documents that I can't afford to lose. Thus my idea of setting up the 2nd 250GB hard drive to be a mirror of the primary hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom