Asking for some cpu help here

usiris208

Solid State Member
I have been out of the PC gaming world for almost a year now cuz of this deployment to iraq. So i have a few questions for all the hardcore high end gamers out there.

1. For most of the newer games out there is it better to go with 6-cores or just stick with 4-cores?
  2. What is the advantages that Intel has then AMD and vise versa?

I am getting ready to build a system that can handle any new high end games and make older ones better. Here is a list of components that i will be getting.

Motherboard: Intel or AMD support
CPU : Intel or AMD support
Memory : Kingston HyperX 12GB (2GBx6) DDR3/1600MHz
Video Card : Dual Geforce GTX 470 1.25GB
Sound Card : X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
Hard Drive : SSD Kingston 128G With Western Digital VelociRaptor 600G
PSU : Thermaltake TR2 RX Modular 1200Watt

Thats what i have planned for right now...the hard drives might change. still deciding if i should have a SSD drive for my OS and other system apps like firewall, anti virus, and other cleaning programs

Everything is overkill imo. Anything above 4GB of ram is useless in gaming systems, 1200w psu is just ridiculous (not to mention thermaltake psus are terrible), and two gtx 470s is not the best cost/performance.

This is the build I recommend:
msi 790fx-gd70
phenom II 955
4GB G.skill ripjaws
HD 5850 Xfire (flash to 5870 BIOS)
850w corsair psu
w/e case, I suggest antec 1200
RAID0 two 7200.12s

Will you be overclocking?

msi 790fx-gd70
phenom II 955
4GB G.skill ripjaws
850w corsair psu
RAID0 two 7200.12s

Or this...

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Core i7 930
3GB Corsiar XMS RAM

... with the rest of the set up above.

:)

like i said somethings will be changed. yea i am going to overclock my system. i am also checking out different liquid cooling systems. the last custom built i had a poor air flow so all my hardware was running hot and i would have to clean all the dust out of it weekly or else it would just be caked on. Thats why this time around i will have the money and time to build a cool and a fast computer to meet all recommended specs of most or all of the high end games little to no lag in game play

Everything is overkill imo. Anything above 4GB of ram is useless in gaming systems, 1200w psu is just ridiculous (not to mention thermaltake psus are terrible), and two gtx 470s is not the best cost/performance.

This is the build I recommend:
msi 790fx-gd70
phenom II 955
4GB G.skill ripjaws
850w corsair psu
RAID0 two 7200.12s

Will you be overclocking?

yeah this sounds like pretty much all you'll need, also the antec 1200 is a niiiice case :cool:

Or this...

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Core i7 930
3GB Corsiar XMS RAM

... with the rest of the set up above.

:)

There is no noticeable difference between a P II and a core i7 in regular gaming. If he was using that system for other things, the i7 would be worth it, but here a P II is more appropriate.

The system will be epic either way.

what do you guys think about the ironclad case

Antec 1200 if you are going to go liquid cooled. The ironclad does not have any good rad mounting spots without a significant amount of modding.

Back
Top Bottom