Article Describing Long Scram Session - arstechnica.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

office politics

It's all just 1s and 0s
fun read. i always liked the idea of holding insanely long sessions. Typically i do these as a server guy. Somewhere around 18-20 hours is where things start to get hazy and i start seeing spots. Have you ever worked on a project for over 12 hours straight?

"I think they're mad": Inside a 48 hour battle to build the best video game

By Brendan Keogh

But as she gives me the tour before she officially commences the competition, her real pride and joy is the kitchen, where a mountain of two-minute noodles sit beside a bucket of instant coffee packets, a box of bread loaves, and several jars of peanut butter. The kitchen, more than anything else, hints at the insanity that will take over the two coding rooms for the weekend. As Truna points out just how many noodles they have, several teams enter with supplies from the local supermarket: chips, energy drinks, pikelets (a kind of Australian pancake), and candy. Carbs, caffeine, and sugar.

"Behind there are two showers," she says. "They're kind of warm. Ish. For the first four people, at least."

Not that anyone is going to use them. If the teams want to complete their games, they will be at their workstations constantly for the whole weekend. The event is a physically and mentally draining challenge on pro and indie competitor alike. "I think they're all mad," Truna says. "All of them."

Really good read! As for me working on a project that long, I do it all of the time. I'm an entrepreneur with my hands in a lot of things that take up most of my time. I get really involved with my website and a separate project/podcast that a buddy and I do together. Time just disappears, probably because I love it so much. The negative side of it, in my opinion, is knowing when to shut off. I really struggle with that. There comes a time where the fatigue sets in and I'm really just not working efficiently anymore. As time goes on, I'm finding more and more that balance is key in idea generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom