ARGH what is wrong???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBarry

In Runtime
About 3/4 days ago my internet just decided to stop working and sart working sporadically. I have no idea why.

I am on a home wireless network, with a Linksys WRT300N wireless router. When i went onto the main computer it said there was an ip conflict problem, but then it just decided to start working again.

I am constantly getting disconnected and timeout errors, and my ip address chaning randomly. WHY IS IS DOING THIS??? i have passed the point of being calm, i want to throw the whole damned system out of my window!!

Please someone help me for the sake of my nerwork.

What kind of (guessing broadband) connection are you using?

Are you able to verify if the Router is losing connection to the WAN, or does the trouble appear to be within your LAN?
Are all of the hosts on the LAN wireless, or are there any wired hosts?
What type of wireless security are you using on the network?
How many hosts are using the router, and how large is the DHCP Address Pool (assuming that you are using DHCP and not static addresses)?

That address conflict you are getting is the result of 2 hosts on the network with the same IP address. If you are not using any type of wireless security, I would HIGHLY recommend that you enable it.

I'm using, i think a 1gb NTL broaband connection....i dont know what type.

I think the trouble seems to be within the LAN, because the Router seems to be working fine.

All the hosts are wireless, of which there are 2. Using Belkin wireless adaptors.

Not sure what security.

This is what the main screen of the Router login looks like:

Automatic Configuration - DHCP (dropdown menu)

Host Name: BLANK
Domain Name: BLANK
MTU: Auto (dropdown menu) 1500 (edit box)

Host Name: 192.168.1.1
Domain Name: 255.255.255.0 (dropdown menu)

DHCP Server: ENABLED
Start IP Address: 192.168.1.100
Max No. Of Users: 50
IP Address Range: 192 . 168 . 1 . 100 ~ 149
Client Lease Time: minutes (0 means one day)
Static DNS 1: . . .
Static DNS 2: . . .
Static DNS 3: . . .
Wins: . . .

On the security page it says:
SPI Firewall Protection: Enabled

Internet Filter:
Filter Anonymous Internet Requests ENABLED
Filter Multicast
Filter IDNT (Port 113)
Filter Internet NAT Redirection

Webfilter:
Proxy Java ActiveX Cookies

Basic Wireless Setting:

Network Mode: Mixed
Network Name (SSID): linksys
Radio Band: Wide - 40mhz channel
Wide Channel: 6
Standard Channel: 4- 2.427GHz
Wireless SSID Broadcast: enabled

Wireless Security: DISABLED

No exactly sure, but PART of it could be that the mix of Belkin & Linksys gear in the network could cause issues... I am not too familiar with that router though, so I am not sure.

I would RECOMMED that you enable security on this network, because otherwise, anyone within range will beable to connect to it, and get free internet.

Can you provide the model number of the Belkin wireless adaptors that you are using?

Turn DHCP off and assign static ip's to your machines and see what happens. Have the ISP test your line and make sure everything is cool there. If that still doesn't fix your problem try a firmware upgrade on the router.

I don't think the difference in make, makes any difference, because i changed routers yesterday and i still have problem.

I tried fixing static ips earlier..but i did it wrong...step by step guide would be good?

If you have resources to, take all of your computers off the network and try a buddies laptop on your network and see what happens, you could have Malware.

Just call broadband i have them aswell and they will send a guy out and he will fix everything for you. He will find the problem fix it and make your laptop back wireless. Im assuming you have changed some settings on the computer your router is connected to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom