Are you robotphobic?

Tech Explorer

In Runtime
From time to time I've heard people express fears about robots taking over their jobs or just plain taking over.

My mind isn't made up. What are your thoughts on this?

Sounds like the plot to the auto industry. Lots of basic jobs have been taken over by robots in factories.

Most people think we outsource everything to China. Really, we just outsource everything to robots.

From time to time I've heard people express fears about robots taking over their jobs or just plain taking over.

My mind isn't made up. What are your thoughts on this?

The only people I've heard that are genuinely scared about this sort of thing have spent way too much time watching films and not enough time in reality. Smack bang in the middle of science fiction. Study a neuroscience module and you'll realise just how far off we are from creating something like this if we even tried to.

I did a Google search and this turned up: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/24/t...e-more-jobs-for-machines-not-people.html?_r=0

On a related note I recall workers attacking a mill due to technology improvements costing the workers their jobs; however I also recall that eventually technology led to new jobs at the mill (but this may have been a different mill).
One worker can work 8 hours a day at one manual mill every day. Or, one worker can create a part in UG NX, Catia, Solidworks, etc. and export the G code to a CNC mill and have a robot place the part in the exact coordinates, and 1 million copies of the part are made.

That's why people don't like robots. Once the code is made, a person is no longer needed to produce the part.

Back
Top Bottom