Are holographic displays the future?

Oculus Rift and Steam VR seem to indicate a shift toward VR before we see holograms, or neural integration

Neural interfaces are 20 to 50 years off in most estimates. Personally, 20 years seems extremely optimistic. But then I am not an expert.

Holographic headsets like Microsofts HoloLens are here now, but with poor FOV. They'll get much, much better in the following 5 years.

VR tech will follow a path similar to that of smartphones. They'll get really good, really quick. The first version releasing later this year will seem extremely cool, but go forwards just 3 years or so and try it again, and it'll be a comparatively poor experience.

Once the resolution gets high enough and the ergonomics are vastly improved, there are many use cases where VR / AR headsets will prove to be more convenient and better than fixed monitors and TVs for consuming content and using PCs. Why have a bulky monitor on your desk when you can envelop your entire vision in as many virtual monitors as you desire or require ?

Last edited:
We might aswell all be fat people who sit on are arses and live in VR.. human bodies will be pointless if VR grows... will just put our brains in borgs so why are we trying to stay healthy lol :cool:

We might aswell all be fat people who sit on are arses and live in VR.. human bodies will be pointless if VR grows... will just put our brains in borgs so why are we trying to stay healthy lol :cool:

Lol.

You laugh, but in 100 to 200 years time I really would not be all that surprised if people spent the vast majority of their lives in some kind of virtual reality. It'll be better with none of the downsides.

Lol.

You laugh, but in 100 to 200 years time I really would not be all that surprised if people spent the vast majority of their lives in some kind of virtual reality. It'll be better with none of the downsides.

I hope not, but I can see humans heading that way! we want convenience and an easy life.. Japan has toilets that clean your arse right now in hotels lol..

Put a PC or PS4 with Oculus in front of the toilet with an iphone 6 besides him and a Wifi controlled robot on the floor and a man will never move again!..
Your thinking "what about when he wants to eat"? well just go on the iphone and order your food.. then use the robot to open the door and bring it to you :cool::cool::cool:

My dream life....

I hope not, but I can see humans heading that way! we want convenience and an easy life.. Japan has toilets that clean your arse right now in hotels lol..

Put a PC or PS4 with Oculus in front of the toilet with an iphone 6 besides him and a Wifi controlled robot on the floor and a man will never move again!..
Your thinking "what about when he wants to eat"? well just go on the iphone and order your food.. then use the robot to open the door and bring it to you :cool::cool::cool:

My dream life....

I hope we do actually.

Perfected neural interfaces theoretically can replicate every sight, sound, smell, force etc that you can feel. It could be indistinguishable from reality.

You get to live in a Virtual World populated by billions. It'll likely still have a government of some form, and rich and poor of some sort (Society doesn't work any other way). But you won't get ill, you won't die, you won't get shot or murdered, anything bad that can happen won't. At least hopefully. I guess if you can simulate life perfectly, you can simulate being shot :p

^ You'll just have to worry about keeping your antivirus up to date so you don't have to run a scan after getting with a questionable virtual lady :p.

I hope we do actually.

Perfected neural interfaces theoretically can replicate every sight, sound, smell, force etc that you can feel. It could be indistinguishable from reality.

You get to live in a Virtual World populated by billions. It'll likely still have a government of some form, and rich and poor of some sort (Society doesn't work any other way). But you won't get ill, you won't die, you won't get shot or murdered, anything bad that can happen won't. At least hopefully. I guess if you can simulate life perfectly, you can simulate being shot :p
You could already be a virtual being, and not know it. Someplace else....your watching this life as your know it be be, in a VR headset

Last edited:
I can only say one thing... I can't wait for a real life Sword Art... :D

I'd rather not be forced into a world comprised of 100 floors where my only chance of escape is to fight through each one as both the difficulty and risk of dying increases. Unless of course you just mean getting to play the game, that I wouldn't mind :)

Back
Top Bottom