Archived Cache Copy of Past Advertisement

Sounds like he was just brushing you off on what he knew would be a difficult/impossible task.

Again to be honest, if you signed a contract that has the final sale price clearly laid out and what exactly that includes, it might not even matter if the ad originally stated a different price.

You're probably right because that is what the Better Business Bureau said along with the Ohio Attorney General's office whose original position was that if an original price was presented to you, but you were charged a different price, then the company is in the wrong. However, since I didn't have a copy of the ad, the Ohio Attorney General's office took the position that I signed documents that had the price of the car on them.

And yeah doesn't sound like an entirely honest company, though I'm completely unsurprised that a small 2nd hand car dealership doesn't want to help implicate themselves in a dodgy transaction.

Who said that this was a small 2nd hand car dealership? :neutral: This is one of the most prominent car dealerships in the area that I live in.

Either way, sounds like you're stuck without actually taking them to court. Small claims don't allow lawyers, so it'll be you and the manager or sales rep doing the talking.

I think it will help your case if you have a response in writing from the ad company that they require the party who posted & paid for the ad to request a copy of it. And also, once you have that request, email it to the sales company and ask them to email the ad company (provide the email address to send request to), confirming you have their permission to seek a copy of the ad.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are saying.

Once you've done all that, and if the sales company still refuse to send even a simple email, you'll likely have a better small claims case. You've done as much groundwork as you can and have everything in writing, and the sales company is clearly trying to obstruct finding details for the original ad. The case here would be, why would you suddenly agree to pay $2,000 more than what the ad originally asked for? It makes no sense.

Exactly. That's the same common sense reasoning that I'm using.

Last edited:
I mean get it in writing from the Ad company that they cannot release the old ad info to you (legal reasons; it's not your ad), however the car dealership who submitted the ad will absolutely be able to request a copy of their previous ad without legal recourse.
Get this confirmed in writing from the Ad company, and forward to the car dealership asking them to reply all (i.e. reply to the ad company and CC you in) stating their permission to send you the original ad.

If the car dealership refuses to do this extremely simple request (esp. in the face of being accused of $2,000 of fraud or misleading sales) then you have everything in writing to show a magistrate that you have exhausted all legal avenues, and the car company is actively blocking further investigation into the truth; after all why would they do that if they were being honest. A judge at that point would ask them why they wouldn't comply, there's no good answer I can think of but I am not a lawyer so who knows at that point.

A judge might just say you signed a contract with everything explained, you are liable for not reading it. All the dealer has to say is Caveat Emptor, this is a real legal term (means "buyer beware"). And stick a fork in it cuz your done.
You say a car salesman lied to you?
I guess we all learn the hard way about car sales people. They are scum and now you personally know why. I see it as partially your own fault for putting trust in a car sales person at his own word and not having what he states in writing.
Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it is what it is in reality.
You can go on line and publicly voice your opinion about this car dealership, that might get you better results in the court of public opinion than anything in a court of law can do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom