Apple Pay - Will you use it?

It's definitely an interesting concept. Unfortunately it looks like only US customers will get to trial Apple Pay for now. I still can't quite imagine using my phone as my wallet though..what if my battery is low? What if I lose my phone? What if I accidentally damage my phone? I think I'll be sticking to the traditional option for a good while until this becomes more mainstream. Nice to have as a second option though if you were to forget your wallet some day..
It's not meant for a replacement, it's meant for convenience. It's far easier to take your phone out (usually it's already out) and tap an NFC enabled register than dig out cash or a card from your wallet. If the phone is lost or stolen you simply disable it ASAP from your account at home. More than likely at the same time enabling Find My iPhone.

It's not meant for a replacement, it's meant for convenience. It's far easier to take your phone out (usually it's already out) and tap an NFC enabled register than dig out cash or a card from your wallet. If the phone is lost or stolen you simply disable it ASAP from your account at home. More than likely at the same time enabling Find My iPhone.

I see. Pretty useful so. I just hope that it becomes widely adopted by stores back here in Ireland. We're usually slower to get up to speed with these things :lol:

I see. Pretty useful so. I just hope that it becomes widely adopted by stores back here in Ireland. We're usually slower to get up to speed with these things :lol:
NCR is a worldwide company. Do you see any of their POS systems at your stores? If you do, odds have it within the next year or two you'll start seeing their NFC spots show up.

NCR is a worldwide company. Do you see any of their POS systems at your stores? If you do, odds have it within the next year or two you'll start seeing their NFC spots show up.

I would Imagine most of the big retail chains should have it pretty quick. And of course Starbucks and Costa and the rest of those guys. Some of the smaller (and non-nationwide) stores will probably take a lot longer to upgrade their POS systems understandably. So I think it will be quite a while before Apple Pay will be widely adopted, at least over here.

Seems pretty secure too me. At least, no less secure than ordering online or putting your card in a chip and pin machine (that literally anyone could have swapped out with a device that captures your card details). So security is not my concern at all.

I don't know anything about Google Wallet, but i'd imagine it's pretty similar. But like others have said, Apple are most likely to succeed with making it ubiquitous. Not necessarily because they have the best implementation (though it does look fairly quick and seemless), but just because it's Apple and everyone will jump on it, both consumers and retailers.

I say good. I hate carrying around loose change. I'd be much happier if I could use my phone just at vending machines and that kind of thing.

I would Imagine most of the big retail chains should have it pretty quick. And of course Starbucks and Costa and the rest of those guys. Some of the smaller (and non-nationwide) stores will probably take a lot longer to upgrade their POS systems understandably. So I think it will be quite a while before Apple Pay will be widely adopted, at least over here.

I read that new legislation in the US is forcing retailers to upgrade their payment systems anyway, so Apple timed it perfectly. Just as retailers are forced to upgrade, Apple comes along with their new service. So they may as well go with system that supports it. I imagine it will be very widespread in the US within a year.

Last edited:
Easier to plug a USB flash drive in with some code than to swap card hardware, even though it's been done. My friend who ironically worked at NCR for 6 years has been account jacked from a 7/11 3 times in the past 6 months. A company who ironically uses NCR machines lol. He lives in a bad area though, but not as bad as it could be.

Like I had explained earlier, it's the same tech only made to run with iOS and the Apple ecosystem. Their buzz words are different to the typical Apple fanbase but still much all the same. Like I was saying before as well, it'll take off because the sheeple will think the almighty Apple has done something "innovative" and that it's totally secure so it'll go somewhere finally. Everybody just has this paranoia about GOogle wanting to "steal all the data!". Kinda stupid, but whatever.

Payment systems for most all popular places have been updated and the software has been setup for NFC for a while now. The only places still using old tech are the places that don't get much traffic anyways. 7/11 and other competing gas stations all use brand new NCR systems, as do a bunch of chain food places. Walmart uses NCR for their self pay, as does Lowes. There are other systems out there, but these are the ones I quickly recognize. It just will take the demand to push the hardware side of it and implementation widespread. Due to mass paranoia about every little thing in the US, I don't see even Apple pushing mass popularity with this.

Currently, 220,000 retail locations will allow these purchases, but that's only 5.5 percent of all retail outlets in the United States.

This might help the chances in the future for merchants to be more inclined to support this new type of payment method:
cnbc said:
Working with Apple, MasterCard is dedicated to delivering a seamless and secure payment experience when, where and how the customers want. For consumers and merchants alike, that means that every purchase made with a MasterCard using iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch will offer the security, benefits and guarantees of any MasterCard transaction.

Back
Top Bottom