Apple Boot Camp discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagleboy

In Runtime
I decided to post this opinion here, instead of only in the Windows discussion or only in the Mac discussion. Please post your opinions in here as well - I really don't want a Win/Mac war here, I just want to discuss Apple's business ethics on this one.

I think that what Apple is doing with their Boot Camp is terrible.

Sure, it's great to run dual boot of the two most popular OS options, but there's a terrible thing that they're doing. They're letting Mac users dual-boot to Windows, but not letting Windows users dual-boot to OSX. Apple made it illegal to alter the code of the previously open-source OSX to make it work on Windows PCs, and for the purpose of restricting Windows users only.

Pretty much, they're saying "Haha, we can use your software, but you can't use ours". Kinda like the bully at school who borrows your kickball, but doesn't let you borrow his basketball while he's using the kickball because he's a prissy b-tch.

That's bad etiquitte, and I personally think Windows should jump ship and make it illegal to run Windows NT code on Apple machines. You know, just to get back at them. But, that's just my opinion - let's hear with other people have to say.

What's illegal about? Why should Microsoft LIMIT their sales? This is making it so Mac users might buy Windows too.

All morals and opinions aside, I am using it on my MacBook Pro, and it is EXTREMELY convenient. I now have a mobile AutoCAD workstation, mobile game station, and a Mac all in one. The only problem I have with it is the touchpad sucks and there's no right click unless I plug a mouse in, but that's okay because I usually have a mouse plugged in (for right click in MacOSX and better accuracy for image editing)

Games are extremely fast for a laptop. 52.34fps doing the "Video Stress Test" in CS:S @ 1440x900 and all settings on full.

If you don't like it, you can stuff it. I just realized that I trade off with my thumbs as I type spaces almost back and forth, left right left right. This is weird, I know noticed this before.

Anyway, it's not about whats right and whats wrong for me about Boot Camp, it's about what's convenient. Since I am in the business of AutoCAD, its really nice being able to use it on my laptop that was originally supposed to be a toy. Now it's a toy AND a productivity tool!

I'm through rambling. :confused:

Why should Apple LIMIT their sales by making their software impossible to dual-boot to? Microsoft would simply be following suit to screw Apple the way Apple screwed Microsoft...

Please expound on your first sentence though - "What's illegal about?" - I'm not quite sure what issue you're referring to...

The way that Apple achieves their stability with Mac OSX is by limiting their hardware compatitbility (among other things). Apple is a hardware company, most of their profits are on hardware, not software. Ever installed Mac OSX? If you did, you'd have noticed that there was no CD-key to use, and you don't have to activate it like Windows. Apple and Microsoft aren't competing software companies entirely.

Saying that it is bad to have Windows on a Mac is like saying GRUB and LILO are bad because they let you have Linux and Windows (other competing operating systems). Boot Camp is merely a bootloader (granted there is some BIOS emulation somewhere in there.

Why are you complaining about Boot Camp, but not grub and lilo? Why aren't you complaining about VMware and Parallels? Parallels lets you run Windows on a Mac, why not complain about that?

Someone said that they should make it illegal, I was asking "What is illegal about it?" but I should have said "What could be illegal about it?"

Anyway, I'm really into this episode of Star Trek: Next Generation, I have more to say, but I'll post later cause I'm watching this. :)

If Mac user are willing to buy Windows to dual boot their machine than it's more money for Microsoft, so why would they care. Apple wants to make money off hardware and the design, if Apple allow the Mac OS to be installed on a Windows machine than they wouldn't make much money. M$ main product is their OS, the computer parts are left to other companies.

Apple want people to buy the entire product, they make more money that way. Who doesn't want a Mac, they look nice. I would buy it any day over a PC.

Darn General beat me to it =)

Law said:
Who doesn't want a Mac, they look nice. I would buy it any day over a PC.

Darn General beat me to it =)

Everybody PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, he was stating his opinion, this is not a cue to turn this into a flame war about Mac's versus Windows versus Linux.

I was just saying I would pay for the entire product than buy a Mac OS and put it on a Dell or something, anyways I'll keep it down a little. ;)

No no, what you said was perfectly alright, I'm just pointing out that Windows "gurus" might start something here that could get way out of hand lol.

Well of course apple doesnt want their OS to be compatible to run on PC's, because then people would not have to buy a MAC to get OS X. Because MAC OS X is limited only to MAC computers, OS X users are forced to buy apples computers and that is the way they like it.

Microsoft shouldnt care about limiting who they sell windows to. Unlike Apple, microsoft doesnt have its own line of computers it is trying to sell it just sells its software to anybody who wants to put it on their computer. So letting apple put windows on their computers only means more money to microsoft and not letting apple put windows on their computers would only mean less money for microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom