AOL Discs?

Senile Animal

Baseband Member
Does anyone remember how until about maybe 2003-ish? and back AOL would bombard your mail boxes with the 120 hours free AOL CDs? I seen a web site before although I cannnot remember the name, that gave like 101 uses for these discs. What did you do with yours? We used ours for plinking with the .22s until we had to clean the mess and we stopped. What did you do with em besides the garbage?

We actually didn't get any because we had AOL until Netzero offered their 10 dollar dial up. That came when AOL started falling and in 04 we got broadband.

We used Internet America dial up service for the whole 90's then about 01 I think we got SBC dsl service. not too sure of the dates.

Does anyone remember how until about maybe 2003-ish? and back AOL would bombard your mail boxes with the 120 hours free AOL CDs? I seen a web site before although I cannnot remember the name, that gave like 101 uses for these discs. What did you do with yours? We used ours for plinking with the .22s until we had to clean the mess and we stopped. What did you do with em besides the garbage?

Saw

Not only did they bombard you via mail but it seemed that in every checkout line you waited in, there was a display box the FREE AOL trial disks. Personally, I just tossed them when they came in the mail.

I had the misfortune of removing AOL from a number of people's systems. AOL was like a virus, it put bits of itself all over the system.

I remember those, in total I had a stack a bit over 3 foot high that I collected for fun... Eventually sat down one day and shot at them all with a .22, ended up having a huge pile of busted disks.

We used Internet America dial up service for the whole 90's then about 01 I think we got SBC dsl service. not too sure of the dates.
By the time DSL started coming around we had moved to a rural area that to this day still doesn't offer DSL. Although, I do remember in early 99 my dad talking about hacking a switch box to get faster speeds with a dual modem setup of some sort. Pretty sure I can confirm that as all my Pokemon stuff would load so much quicker. :cool:

Those were the good ol' days of the Internet... I might build myself a 98 box too. I remember I had so many hours of entertainment on my dads old Compaq laptop that ran Windows 98. We had one of those pull up coffee tables and would sit on the couch, pull that thing up, plug in our dial up, and go about our business!

Those were the good ol' days of the Internet... I might build myself a 98 box too. I remember I had so many hours of entertainment on my dads old Compaq laptop that ran Windows 98. We had one of those pull up coffee tables and would sit on the couch, pull that thing up, plug in our dial up, and go about our business!
Makes another 98 box person. They seem to be getting popular.

I collected them for a while then made a bunch of mouse trap racers using the aol Discs as wheels. Now that was a fun afternoon having 40 mouse trap racers rolling down a half mile long hill.

Back
Top Bottom