AOL branded most infected network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
AOL branded most infected network

ISP accused of hosting more zombie PCs than any other network

Analysis from IT security consulting firm Prolexic claims that AOL's network hosts more zombie-infected PCs than any other in the world. Infected machines can be used by remote hackers to instigate distributed denial of service (DoS) attacks.

From a European perspective the study also criticised Deutsche Telekom, Wanadoo and AOL as being Europe's top three offenders for harbouring infected PCs.

Barrett Lyon, chief technology officer at Prolexic, said: "It should not be a surprise to find that some of the most high profile ISPs are most susceptible to providing a safe haven for large numbers of zombie PCs.

"It is these networks which are continually being exploited to support large scale DoS attacks. Just because a home user subscribes to a reputable brand does not mean that they are safe from the online criminal fraternity."

Distributed DoS attacks are co-ordinated by criminals who place malicious viruses onto the computers of unsuspecting broadband users.

When the attack is triggered, the infected computers can be used simultaneously to flood a network with fake packets, preventing legitimate traffic from accessing a system.

The report also highlighted a significant change in the way that distributed DoS attacks are being coordinated. It claimed that attacks are now focusing less on Layer-3 TCP and have shifted to exploit the weakness of distributed DoS mitigation devices.

The primary attack of choice in the first half of 2005 is described as an " advanced full connection based flood".

Although this particular attack exposes the real IP address of the attacking zombie, the sheer number of IP addresses that must be blacklisted successfully to defend the attack places an overwhelming load on the mitigation hardware.

Is this any suprise, the vast majority (not all... but most) of the people using AOL are people that should have never been allowed on a computer in the first place.

jinexile said:
people using AOL are people that should have never been allowed on a computer in the first place.

LOL @ jinexile

i guess it is kind of true, but AOL don't help themselves by making out that if you are with them the internet is safe and you will never have any problems.

And its unbelievable how many people are out there who think AOL is a good service. I am working on convincing a friend of mine that AOL sucks, but he doesn't want to believe it. He loves his AOL!

I'm not sure what is worse though. When I was on NetZero, as soon as I installed the software, my PC took like twice as long to boot, and I began to get lag in games like UT2004 and Painkiller. Then when I would connect, I would get 14.4kbps at the max, and sometimes would get 9.6kbps, half of my pitiful bandwidth was being used by NetZero downloading ads, which it did continually. After my 4 months of hell on NetZero, I uninstalled the software, but the problems persisted. I had to reformat to get it right.

Yea those commercials of their irk me. "We helped cut 70% of our spyware complaints bla hblah blah" are really misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom