Anyone on here build and sell computers for a source if income?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems I've gotten rather bi-polar responses.

I e-mailed a guy on craigslist who does it, he says he makes 50-300 per machine he sells. I think if I do it, I'd come off as a computer consultant as opposed to I build and sell computers. Makein $100 on the side now and then for doing something I do on my own machine weekly would be quite nice. Especialy since I already have alot of experience with it.

Although, I'm still a bit new to Vista, and I'm sure that's what I'd sell most of. I'd offer a week or two after for tech support, and like one of you said, after that they're on their own unless they want to pay me.

I don't tink I'd think about doing it for a living though, it seems like it'd be way too up and down.

Oh, and I'd work in a static free enviroment as much as possible, I took a computer class in high school and learned all about that stuff.

i would like to do this but when you guys offer tech support, what usually do people ask you to fix?

Yep...been dong this as a side job since '98. And while I don't make much, I look at it as a self-surporting hobby. I make 100.00 or less on most systems I build, and I offer the "personal touch", I setup for free, if a part goes out I handle the RMA and replacements for them (I give a 3 year warranty on all my systems). I operate by word of mouth, and I have refused to work on some computers or refused to build computers for some individuals who I thought might be too much trouble (there are diplomatic ways to do this). I repair other brands as well-Dell, Gateway, HP and even Compaq:sigh: I have started to branch out into laptop and LCD repair because that's the way the world is going. In the past I used to sell on eBay, but recently that has not worked out too well. Anyway, when it is no longer fun or too much trouble, I'll just close the doors and call it quits...I don't have a fortune invested in my business and could do without it.

Z3N said:
Yup like everyone says, It's not really worth the hassle.
I build for friends only.
My list of freinds that I would actually build computers for are the ones that I know they can work out the problems for themselves. I've had my fair share of "freinds" that call me up at thinking i am going to drop every thing to give them tech support at 11pm at night.
I am not Techie-On-Tap.

Z3N said:
There are companies I know of here who make $60 profit on a $3000 computer.
You just can't compete with that.
If something goes wrong, (e.g. static zap) you could find yourself buying broken parts. :(
Very true. This is where I am boarding lining on just outsourcing the building processes.
Plus there is knowing how to deal with RMAs. Thankfully I only deal with parts with suppliers or manufacturers where i can easily deal with the RMA staff.

Like I have had DOA Ram modules take 3 months to sort out. I changed my ram modules supplier after that happened.

Z3N said:
And from my experience wholesalers will only bother talking to you if your account spend tens of thousands.

It's seriously just not worth it.
A lot of the big wholesalers are like that. Like I got two companyies which I always try to throw an order in their direction just to make sure that I still have an active account with them. Especially considering that both companies are culling the smaller accounts. Even the Pre-Paid or C.O.D. accounts.

j369852147412 said:
i would like to do this but when you guys offer tech support, what usually do people ask you to fix?

Do stuff right, and you won't have to worry bout it. I've never had anyone ask for help.

I'd just sell them on eBay with no warranty and no returns.

I got $2,400 for my previous computer that way. :)

Oh, and charge $120 shipping. ;)

yeah but shipping for a computer is expensive so your only probably making a small percentage of that 120 ...

I shipped my computer, monitor, keyboard and mouse for $55 insured for $3000 at UPS from California to Ohio.

Don't use Fed Ex, DHL or the USPS. And don't go to the UPS Store. The UPS Store isn't even UPS ... they charge way too much.

Just go to your local UPS distribution center. It's cheap there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom