Anyone know anything about camera's?

Kage

Golden Master
I'm after buying a DSLR for myself.

Now, I have researched many, and have come to the conclusion of 3:

Nikon D40
Nikon D60,
Canon 1000D

The D40 is the cheapest at £250, has a 6 megapixel CCD sensor (not at all bad if you look at the quality), but has no sensor cleaning function, and only a 3 point focus system (what ever that means), and of course, no live view.
Comes with a 18-55mm lens.

The Nikon D60 doesn't have Live view either, but has a 10 megapixel CCD sensor, but still, no sensor cleaning function, and the same 3 point focus system as before. This is around £100 more, and I'm really pushed to see why.
Comes with a 18-55mm lens.

The Canon 1000D on the other hand is £399 with £30 cashback from Canon, making it £369.99. This has a 10 megapixel CMOS sensor (CMOS is a bigger sensor), a 7 point Auto focus system, Live view (instead of having to use the optical view finder), and a sensor cleaning function.

Now, you may just say the Canon 1000D because it looks better in specs, but for the price, I don't know wheather the D40 would be the better buy for my first real camera.
For the same price, I could get the kit lens + a zoom lens, memory card, and a bag most likely.

I'm just really stuck. I don't really want to be spending any more than £350 if I can help it.

Thanks, 01001010, I may have to register on there :p
I may go out and buy the D40 today at Jessops. No sensor cleaning, but I probably wouldn't change the lenses much anyway, and might buy a lens on top of that, plus a bag.

It's only 6 megapixels, but check out the quality:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_nikon_d40_3.php

Pretty impressive I think.

I would have liked a camera with 720p recording built in too, but I won't get that on an SLR thats cheap.

The Panasonic Lumix z28 offers too much noise at ISO 100 and above, but offers 720p recording (though not that high of quality, and its of a very bad, memory filling type too), and I do feel like a full manual will really allow me to learn, as its something I really want to do.

Mmm, that forum doesn't accept hotmail requests, so I used my dads e-mail, and that didn't send a confirmation either...

My brother has a Nikon D80 - It's a great camera. I dont know how the D60/40 would compare to it, mind.

The D80 is far too expensive, and its slightly bigger than the budget versions. Since the D90 has now been released though, maybe this camera will suddenly drop, as the D90 is the sucessor.

I've been thinking more about getting the D60 though. It has a 10.1 megapixel CCD sensor, LCD proximetry sensor to sense that you are looking through the viewfinder, so its switches off, a feature to enhance dark areas on an image, a sensor that turns the LCD around when you flip it 90 degrees, and finally, a sensor cleaning function.

Thats slightly more than you get with the Nikon D40 (2006 model), BUT, apart from the sensor cleaning, and the 4 megapixels more, nothing much. The D60 though came out this year.

Then theres the Canon series, the 1000D for example, which offers 10 megapixels too (But using a bigger CMOS sensor), Live view (so you can take pictures using the LCD and not just the viewfinder), some more AF points (7) to make sure a picture is sharp in places you want (The Nikon's budget cameras only have 3), and sensor cleaning.

I was also thinking about the 450D which is the bigger brother of the 1000D, offering 12 megapixels, a 3 inch screen with live view, and an even bigger AF point system (9 I think)... But this comes to £429.99 without the £50 back from Canon, which you have to claim, and thats WITHOUT accessories, like a bag, and a memory card which I will need.

Each one of these cameras comes with a 18-55mm lens, which offers 3x optical zoom. The Nikon D60, Canon 1000d, and 450D have the advantage of coming with image stabilising lenses, which the D40 does not come with.

I'm slowly getting there... but arggh, its hard.

I'm not impressed by those D40's images, can see quite a bit of what shouldn't be there.

All this mind swapping is making me feel ill :p

Its all on the Nikon D60 or the Canon 1000D now, I've decided.

Which one is better though?
The 1000D seems to offer slightly more, but with a slightly higher price, for instance Live View, and some more focus ranges (3 to 7), and a CMOS compared to the D60's CCD sensor.

But for a beginner like me? I don't know.

Heres samples from the D60:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_nikon_d60_3.php

Samples from the 1000D

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_canon_eos_1000d_3.php

Back
Top Bottom