Anyone here use XBMC?

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
Ok, so, decided to skip PLEX since it needs both a server and client install on the same machine, and I don't think my poor little i3-530 can keep up with 720p and PLEX.

So, have the latest XBMC installed. Followed the guide here Adding videos to the library/Naming files/TV shows - XBMC

Now, apparently XBMC has some SERIOUS issues with Anime, I have tried both Anidb and animenewsnetwork add-ons as the scrappers for my anime collection.
Below is the file structure layout....
Code:
ROOT
     |--TV Series
     |   |----TV Show 1
     |   |       |___ TV Show 1 Media files
     |   |
     |   |----TV Show 2
     |   |       |___ TV Show 2 Media files
     |   |
     |   ----TV Show 3
     |           |___ TV Show 3 Media files
     |
     |--Movies
     |
     |--Anime
          |----Anime Series A
          |       |___ Anime Media Files
          |
          |----Anime Series B
                  |___Anime Media Files
Now, the folders are named, lets say, Eureka Seven, then I have the episodes ordered as Eureka.Seven.XX.mkv where XX is the episode number.
Neither the TVDB that XBMC uses works, nor do the two anime based scrappers work. They SEE the series, and can get info, but aside from that, it can't pull episode information... Ideas??? Because PLEX basically worked out of the box and made it VERY easy to find shows and add them in, XBMC wants you to write this and that everywhere... I really dislike the idea of writing a freaking XML file with over 700 different url's and another 700 local paths... So if someone could please give SOME insight?

EDIT: TF apparently dislikes the way my file layout is...

So you're just trying to get it to pull specific episode info instead of whole series info? Or are the files not showing up in library mode, just in file mode?

Also, did you do a debug log during the scan? It may give you more info to the specific problem. You know the scrappers aren't working right, but maybe it would have more info (I've never actually run a debug log before). It may be something as simple as renaming the files to match a standard...hopefully.

Also, I did a bit of googling and I'm not sure if you ran into this, but it seems fairly in-depth about fixing the issues with anime in XBMC. I'm going to bookmark it myself for when I get more serious about using it, haha. I notice it mentions some interesting info on the difference between TVDB and AniDB. Also seems to be a work in progress even with all the info in there.

Guide to making XBMC into an anime powerhouse - Technical Support - AnimePassion

Also, on your mention of PLEX, I can't stand it. That was the app my TV recommended I use, but it was such a freezing POS when I tried using it, I banished it from existence on my hard drive. Not to mention it didn't work as well as my friggin' PS3 did for streaming (using PMS, streaming from the wireless connection on my PC to my wireless PS3/TV). I may get the occasional lockup or whatever, but PLEX just gave a whole new meaning to "useless" when I used it.

PLEX works pretty good for my uses, but it is buggy (hello memory leak of hell).

I will try the debugging and see what the scrappers are erroring on.

I kind of have two issues. Some files refuse to ever load in the category setup for them, though they are playable and show in the files menu, but not the category for that show. The other issue is that it can't pull the names and summary of any of the shows, it just shows Episode XX nothing more, for the ones it manages to "locate".

If only XBMC was as good as PLEX with grabbing data from thetvdb, and less picky about file names I would be perfectly set, as I LOVE the way XBMC is built and the layout is rather sexy.

I will report back after I see what the logs show.

BTW, I saw that in a google search, kinda didn't wanna bother as it seemed... Overly complicated and requires a modified XBMC installer...

I'll be honest, I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to XBMC. I've messed with it before, but currently it doesn't have the functionality I needed, which was basically just streaming. When I have a dedicated HTPC, I was planning on using it more often. That being said, the guide does seem really complicated overall, but the layout of the steps is pretty nice. I may give it a try when I'm ready to go the next step with XBMC. They may have a custom installer, but they also have pre-made XML files, which you were talking about not wanting to create (and I don't blame you).

I officially give up on XBMC till they seriously rebuild the scrappers and how it handles searches.... I can't just go in and tell it, "hey, look here instead you idiot!!!" like I can on PLEX.... Though, I would really like my 1080p to play properly on PLEX, just ain't got the power for that. Seems Anidb just doesn't work right, and thetvdb has VERY different names for anime, even though the manual search on that site turns up those different names, the PLEX client sometimes can't handle it, and I think this is where XBMC is screwing up... I noticed a lot of Anime on thetvdb that has multiple names, are the ones that don't work properly on XBMC... So it's more of a glitch with the client than anything...

I have noticed ONE bug with PLEX in this adventure... It highly dislikes when a video airs 10 years into the future... o.0 Now, to figure out how to get a PLEX skin like the one I have on my XBMC install... >_>

BTW, Hikari, I know PLEX runs on a lot of TV sets, and even works on phones, but it's mainstream more for MAC than anything, even the windows clients are very new, and it takes a rather beefy network/server to handle PLEX sometimes sadly.

Back
Top Bottom