Anyone help me out?

right two quick questions , how come RD ram dont work in DDR mobos or would it . Cause i have 1GB of that stuff at 1600mhz (400mhz a stick) . Also how do i set up a Raid 0 harddrive .

Nah; it does cause its some sort of special RAM. It needs Dud RAM sticks in if there isn't any in the slot, and it needs to be doubled up. It was good while it lasted but nobody uses it with DDR and DDR2 now anyway.

Overclockers.co.uk is great.

overclockers.co.uk is the worst lol!

- In the bios you can hook up your Raid stuff.

Raid 0 - faster, and joins the two drives together
Raid 1 - Clones the drive onto the other one

I cant believe at the price of HDD these days, anyone who doesn't have Raid. The performance increase is huge and at relatively little cost.

You should buy ram at least PC4000, don't get PC3200 that will only just run yourmachine at stock. you need faster ram if you wish to overclock and still run your memory at a ratio of 1:1 (much faster)

And buy 2 DDR stick for dual channel.

Here's how the ram frequencies work:-

To make things easier, say you had a 3Ghz P4 800Fsb HT

Your machine would run at an Fsb of 200Mhz, This is quad pumped to make the 800Fsb.

Your CPU is Fsb 200Mhz x 15 to give your 3Ghz

Your memory should be double the Fsb (200Mhz), making 400Mhz Ram, Pc3200

If you then overclock by say 20Mhz on your Fsb. Your machine will run at 880Mhz (220x4 quad pumped).

Your CPU is fsb 220Mhz x 15 giving 3.3Ghz

And your memory would be double the fsb (220Mhz), meaning that your ram would be running at 440Mhz

Pc4000 is guaranteed to work at 500Mhz (an fsb of 250Mhz)

Simple isn't it? :rolleyes:

Is it really that big of a difference? I read a review somewhere where game load times hardly improved with raid drives. The only thing I do besides gaming is surfing the web and the occasional donwload.

If It were me and I was a *millionare* then I would go with a 15000 RPM HD, that would be sweet, It would probably make a lot of noise though... since it is spinning so fast.. I wouldnt have any idea, since my computer has a 40 gig 5400 RPM hd. . .

Barrett said:
Is it really that big of a difference? I read a review somewhere where game load times hardly improved with raid drives. The only thing I do besides gaming is surfing the web and the occasional donwload.

They got it wrong.
It makes a big difference to everything you do, anytime the machine has to load from the hd, boot-up, apps, IE6 and of course your swap file. It works at twice the speed.

And dont forget, There's not much difference in price to buy say 2x80Gb Hd's to a 1x160Gb drive. Same capacity and double the speed.

Back
Top Bottom