Anybody ever tried Bowflex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crysalis said:
read again... i'm one of the first posters.

Your point? Your first post in this thread was relevant, though the second one is a waste of space.

Crysalis [/i][B] My post was to tell you that BIG TEXT IS OBNOXIOUS!! [/B][/QUOTE] I don't think it's obnoxious. Your opinion [i]doesn't matter to me[/i]. [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crysalis said:
People tend not to read big text posts because they are normally lame.

Was my post lame? I don't think so. Did it not contain some sort of relevant information... I would assume so. Also, your argument is weakly constructed. "Normally" -- not all the time.

--

I'm not going to continue this conversation anymore. The man got enough opinions about Bowflex and us bickering is pointless.

both of ya shut yer cake holes.
this isn't the megadeth or slayer forums where you have post whores doing post wars.

anyhow,

imo bowflex is great for staying in shape.
i have the very first one and it gives a great workout every time.

M4A1, the gym is for
1. running
2. weight lifters - who build muscle for a living

all is what the the thread maker wants to do is keep in shape.
the flex can offer up to like...400+ pounds or so.....not nearly enough for building muscle (legs)
it was introduced for the 30 minute workout 3-4 time a week to keep your body moving and in shape.

CntdwnToExtn said:

M4A1, the gym is for
1. running
2. weight lifters - who build muscle for a living

You are VERY mistaken.

The gym is not only for "body builders" (is the term you were looking for). People go to the gym to lose fat/gain muscle in general, it's not only those who are bodybuilders. By the looks of your comment, you've never been to the gym, because had you been to one, you would see more people who go their casually/normally (not for a living) to get in shape/workout.

Weight lifting can be done by anyone, no matter how dedicated, committed, or what type of goals they have.

Bowflex is garbage. Training exclusively with free weights is the way to lose fat/gain muscle. There are some machines in the gym, but they assist you too much.

With freeweights, you build stability with your stabilizer muscles and you can lift harder than with a machine.

I gotta chime in on this one. M4A1 you're an idiot. Just because the gym is your preferred way of working out doesnt mean it's for everyone. A person can still get the benefits of a gym with using a bowflex providing they use it right. For some people going to the gym might not be an option. Im not going to go off on a tangent here, but i'll also say that the socalled stabilizer muscles youre talking about is one of the main selling points of the bowflex. Maybe if you didnt spend so much time staring at your pecs and biceps in the mirror at the gym with your "guy friends" and actually took time to research what you so blatantly were calling garbage, you would have known that.

Feel the love in the room....
Look, Bowflex or any other home gym will only work if the user sets a reachable goal and stays with it. Going to the gym can and does benefit the average person just wanting to lose a few lbs and get in shape. How you use the equipment is just as important as what equipment you use. Some folks don't want to exercise in a roomfull of people, many of whom are very physiaclly developed. Personally, I would prefer a home machine because of just that. I don't want to have to see my tubby gut standing next to some guy that looks like he's going to be in a contest or something. Plus, (and I know there are rules about this) I would rather use a machine that doesn't have the sweat of 30 other people on it. Bottom line is this: whichever you choose, be aware of the overall money you are spending, how often you will actually use it (or go to the gym), how much you want to do, and if you have the space in your house for a machine. If I had the money I would certainly get one, but probably get the wal-mart version since it's much cheaper. Doesn't do as much either, but I have low expectations of my physical capacity.

Edit: Almost forgot the main reason to get a home exercise machine. The SMELL at the gym. Good LORD. One person sweating is bad enough, but a couple dozen? No thanks.

bobojuice said:
I gotta chime in on this one. M4A1 you're an idiot. Just because the gym is your preferred way of working out doesnt mean it's for everyone. A person can still get the benefits of a gym with using a bowflex providing they use it right. For some people going to the gym might not be an option. Im not going to go off on a tangent here, but i'll also say that the socalled stabilizer muscles youre talking about is one of the main selling points of the bowflex. Maybe if you didnt spend so much time staring at your pecs and biceps in the mirror at the gym with your "guy friends" and actually took time to research what you so blatantly were calling garbage, you would have known that.

It's not only my preferred way of working out, but it's the optimal way of working out to see results. You can't build lean mass using the Bowflex. Tell me, can you do squats and deadlifts with the Bowflex? No. Those two exercises I just listed are the primary exercises for building LBM.

Now you say that maybe some can't make it to the gym, I know. Some people rather work out at home for whatever reasons they may have, which is COMPLETELY FINE. Rather than investing in a Bowflex, you can buy your own gym set (barbells, weights, dumbells) and go from there. Working out at home is definitely an option, but the right equipment is needed. Where you workout doesn't matter, as long as you're working out effectively.

Also, I do love how you generalize about who I am supposed to be. I was once at a point where I, too, was considering about purchasing a Bowflex a few years back. Did I? No. Why? Because I did research myself and proved that going to the gym, eating a proper diet, and dedication was the key for my health. Trust me, when Bowflex came out at the time, I wanted to see if it was worth investing a near grand.

Now, I know the original thread starter is already in shape, but using the Bowflex WILL NOT show enough results, if compared to free weights. The Bowflex might work for some people (primarily for resistance training), but I bet you if those people go to the gym, they'll see better results in no time. If you tell me you'll build more LBM through the Bowflex than with free weights, you're out of your mind. You might as well not respond.

I also wouldn't criticize somebody because you have no idea how much research I have done. Not only in terms of weight lifting, but also proper nutrition. I used to be overweight (with a high BMI and around 22% body fat), now I'm regular weight and have only 10% body fat. How? Not through the Bowflex, but through going to the gym.

You think those guys and girls that work out in the infomercial built their bodies using the Bowflex? No, they go to the gym or have their own setup at home.

The only time I would suggest someone to buy a Bowflex is if they need a t-shirt hanger.

Please do continue to respond, I'm enjoying this battle of the wits. It's obvious that you're unarmed.

tldr.png

What's the matter? Don't know how to read?

Read it, and tell me what you think. I hope you're not admitting defeat. If so, you shouldn't have posted in the first place :)

This is getting seriously off the topic. One advantage I can see that bowflex does have over freeweights is you never need a spotter. And hey, workout however you like, wherever you like. Or don't. I think the idea here was more along the lines of what it can do, what are the advantages/disadvantages, etc. Not a full-blown arguement over whether Bowflex is better than going to the gym. Calm down people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom