Any game quits within a minute of loading.. Help!!@#

Zastrus

Solid State Member
I built a computer.. I had an "Visiontek" ATI video card before, and was having the same problem.. it would quit withing a minute of loading, so I returned the card and got a different kind in hopes that the problem would go away.. I bought a Leadtek "Winfast" Geforce 7600.. The graphics during the intro look great.. but the game closes and says the game was closed and if I want to report it, etc.

This was happening alot with the ATI card along with alot of bluescreens, so after I returned it I got the new card, I re-installed windows, which seemed to fix alot of problems. After I loaded all the programs again, it was going fine, until I defragged the hard drive.. and got the first blue screen.. only 1 so far! :eek:

Help! :( :confused:

if its only one it could just be a coincidence... but in any case monitor ur temps... using speedfan, just google it (or equivilent temp program). also check ur voleges on ur 12v rail... it should be in the 12 range but if its dropping to around 11.9 or lower then it could cause instability (you can also see the voltages with speedfan)... i would assume its not a driver issue seeing how it did it to both an ATI and Nvidia... and u reformatted so there would be no way of any ATI drivers still on ur comp... also i would suggest running memtest... or try taking out a stick of ram (supposing you have two or more) and running on one see if the problem occurs... if it doesnt put the other one in and so on and if one stick causes problems then that could be the problem (Also if ur doing that try it in different slots as one could be bad)

Honestly if youve only had one i wouldnt worry too much i get one every now and then (not too often) but if it starts getting excessive then start trouble shooting

also post some specs too

Well.. the Leadtek didn't come with a fan.. just a huge heatsink.. but I don't think heat should be a problem...?

But what do you mean on my 12v rail?

And I didn't reformat.. I just re-installed windows.. :eek:

My comp specs:

AMD Athlon 64x2 4200 L1 Cache: 128KB+128KB L2 Cache: 2 x 512KB @2.2GHz
Asus M2N-E motherboard
1GBx2 Kensington RAM
Leadtek "Winfast" PX7600 (GeForce 7600 GS[THD])
Seagate HD
500w ThermalTake

download and run this.
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html

The 12v rail is one of the rails the psu has, it gives power to some of the hardware. (I'm not an expert on this so I can't explain with more detail) U have an asus mobo so I'd suggest u get asus probe (from www.asus.com) and use it to monitor temps and voltages. U will see the 12v voltage with this software.

Hmm.. I can't find the PC probe on their website.. is it ok if I download it from a site I find on google?

I will also run Memtest

Is there a way to check if my HD is the problem?

Any input appreciated!

What games. You got a dual core CPU your affinty might be set to the worng one or somthing.

Mind telling me how to set the affinity to the right one? :p

The game quits when it's just starting.. I see the intro manufacturer logos/graphical intros, then I get to the screen where it says "New Game, etc." then... the game just quits.

This time though, I tried loading FEAR, and I got a bluescreen...
It read: nv4_disp.dll Add BFAFBED4 base at bF9D3000 Datestamp 43f16f88

Stop: 0x08 (0x05, 0xBFAFBED4, 0xB60EaE8, 0x00)

I'm thinking when I push the computer too much i.e. playing a memory-demanding game such as FEAR, it can't handle it for some reason...

The processor seems fine, the problem happens anyways..
I've changed video cards, problem happens anyways, (and the computer blames the vid card "dll" files)
Not sure about the hard drive,
And the memory.. I have to test it with mtest

I'm thinking that it's the memory that is causing the problems..
I'll get back to you guys after I test it..

Ok, I was running MemTest... and like the second i turned it on.. an error came up.. then another.. I just held down the enter key as errors kept popping up!

When it reached 300+ errors, I just ended the program.

I'll try switching the memory sticks, and run the test again, and try to clean out any dust from the memory docks!

Yeah, it seems like from what you just said and the blue screens that the problem is in the memory. Try using just one, and then the other, and run MemTest on either of those configurations to figure out which is the faulty stick. Or, if you're that unlucky, both might be faulty.

Zastrus said:
Ok, I was running MemTest... and like the second i turned it on.. an error came up.. then another.. I just held down the enter key as errors kept popping up!

When it reached 300+ errors, I just ended the program.

I'll try switching the memory sticks, and run the test again, and try to clean out any dust from the memory docks!

definitely faulty ram. As already said, run that same test with only one of the ram sticks to find which one is faulty, or if both are faulty.

Back
Top Bottom