any audiophiles here?

Of course speakers have everything to do with any type of audio but there's also digital vs analog sound too. Using analog audio might show the difference when playing You Tubes
Edit: just did some checking and I do get Amazon HD (it is $7. a month) and those are FLAC audio files
What speakers so you use?

While my speakers support hi-res audio, would it make a difference on portable speakers around £100?

Attachments

• Vinyl on one.jpg
    Vinyl on one.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Completed.jpg
    Completed.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
While my speakers support hi-res audio, would it make a difference on portable speakers around £100?
I honestly do not know. I've never used portable speakers and don't know very much about them. I like the idea of blue tooth for speakers. I've thought of adding some rear speakers in my living room but I need to add a bt transmitter to my receiver. The one main thing I do know about speakers and audio....size matters! But those little bookshelves I built have some decent bass for their size.

Last edited:
What's a digital speaker look like? I didn't know there was such a thing? Actually I made those last year. They are just "regular" speakers with crossovers that I put together that came with the kit. The vinyl wrap and paint and crossover board were purchased separately.
Edit: O.K. did some checking and I see that digital speakers are something that I never got to check into. From what I see they look nice! I'll make it a personal endeavor to check these things out next time I'm at an audio store. And yes....I have analog speakers. It looks like digital speakers are speakers that are powered and do not rely on an amp that requires wiring to the speaker.....Thank you Cheeky for teaching this old dog something new today!

Last edited:
Would you say the difference between youtube audio and other audio sources is clear even on budget/portable speakers? Or do you need a high-end speaker to really notice the difference?
No not really, only in some drastic instances. Like some audio uploaded to Youtube is either so low or over gained it's not even funny. Not to mention that the audio is already compressed to begin with, and Youtube compresses it further. Because cheaper speakers (like small bluetooth speakers, a lot of headphones etc) are low fidelity a lot of the quality you'd expect is missing so it's hard to tell the difference.
Of course speakers have everything to do with any type of audio but there's also digital vs analog sound too. Using analog audio might show the difference when playing You Tubes
Edit: just did some checking and I do get Amazon HD (it is $7. a month) and those are FLAC audio files
Yea I'm too cheap to pay for that. If I ever use a streaming service it's on my phone and Apple Music is already lossless (which I don't pay for lol)
Do you mean AUX-in as opposed to bluetooth? My speakers support both.

My speakers utilise DSP (Digital Signal processing) o ensure the equal loudness curve (bass and treble boost) at low listening levels.
That's adding an additional layer of compression or adjustment to the mix. Audio is just like images where the more you save, reupload, reedit, etc the more it loses quality. Same goes for video. You're taking an already compressed source, sending it through a DAC, which is going through another DAC, to your speakers. In MOST cases, it's hard to tell the difference between an MP3 at 320 and a 24bit FLAC file raw.

Here's my speaker setup for my gaming rigs.

Attachments

• IMG_7918.PNG
    IMG_7918.PNG
    977.3 KB · Views: 3
No not really, only in some drastic instances. Like some audio uploaded to Youtube is either so low or over gained it's not even funny. Not to mention that the audio is already compressed to begin with, and Youtube compresses it further. Because cheaper speakers (like small bluetooth speakers, a lot of headphones etc) are low fidelity a lot of the quality you'd expect is missing so it's hard to tell the difference.

Yea I'm too cheap to pay for that. If I ever use a streaming service it's on my phone and Apple Music is already lossless (which I don't pay for lol)

That's adding an additional layer of compression or adjustment to the mix. Audio is just like images where the more you save, reupload, reedit, etc the more it loses quality. Same goes for video. You're taking an already compressed source, sending it through a DAC, which is going through another DAC, to your speakers. In MOST cases, it's hard to tell the difference between an MP3 at 320 and a 24bit FLAC file raw.

Here's my speaker setup for my gaming rigs.
Try listening to a million dreams from the Greatest Showman on youtube. It’s so quiet it’s not even funny

i found that realistic minimus are very underrated speaker for desktop use
i use them without a subwoofer and they still sound great and overall they are the best
size
clarity of speech
bass
look
i went through over 100 sets including b&W bookshelf series and settled on the realistic minimus with smsl ad18 amp
after 3 years im still ok with them

Back
Top Bottom