Antivirus for Vista

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
I finally installed the newest version of AVG. It's the free one. So far, it's been pretty good. It's not as bloated as Norton and the scan is quick. For free, it's a great deal.

Now, the stupid Windows popup doesn't show up anymore telling me to get an antivirus utility installed :p.

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.5
http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10645435.html?tag=lst-0-2

Get it there!!!! Vista compatible. (man, I hate this dulicate thread error--what is the deal with that?!?!?)

Sweet!! Not using Vista now, but good to know that I'll have some A/V protection.

I can finally stop doing this:
how-to-stop-computer-viruses-with-a-condom-on-the-modem-lead-ANON.jpg

There are some other ones out there, but this one came highly recommended. If this works out, I will never, EVER buy Norton ever again. I mean Norton has this stupid subscription you have to pay and renew every year (except for the Corporate Edition version--that one's nice). I hope this one doesn't have that kind of gimmick too.

For firewall, I'm not using anything other software but the built in Windows Firewall. Then I'm using Windows Defender for spyware. All for free....what a deal. Microsoft is finally doing something right.

TRDCorolla said:
There are some other ones out there, but this one came highly recommended. If this works out, I will never, EVER buy Norton ever again. I mean Norton has this stupid subscription you have to pay and renew every year (except for the Corporate Edition version--that one's nice). I hope this one doesn't have that kind of gimmick too.

For firewall, I'm not using anything other software but the built in Windows Firewall. Then I'm using Windows Defender for spyware. All for free....what a deal. Microsoft is finally doing something right.
Yep, that's the same setup I have with XP, except I'm using Ad-aware. How do you like Windows Defender?

It works well. It detects the usual files that Counterspy detected (that was my other antispyware from before). I have torrent and some p2p loaded on my PC and caught those. I just "ignore" them and Windows Defender leaves them alone. It looks very nice (very similar to Counterspy).

That's good, I don't really rely on Microsoft's security now, so...

I'd get a decent firewall, but I've got a hardware firewall with my router.

I may get a dedicated firewall later on. The Google toolbar also blocks a lot of the popups too. Then Vista always has this window that pops up everytime something gets installed. It's kind of like a security measure. If anything were to be written to be executed in certain directories, it would let me know with that annoying popup. So I guess it's like a firewall sort of thing. The best part about this setup is there isn't too many conflicts and frees up a lot of system resources for Vista.

MS Defender is good, works great in XP too when coupled with ad-aware.

if you want another suggestion for anti-virus go for NOD32. its not free, but there is a 30-day fully functional free trial avalaible. Loads faster than my norton was, and uses less than 1/8 the resources on my machine.

Back
Top Bottom