Another XP installation error... :(

XEN

In Runtime
So I'm trying a fresh install ofXP Pro SP1 on my PC. I boot the CD and it comes up with [size=-1]"Setup is checking your computer's hardware" [/size][size=-1]then after about 30 or 40 seconds that disapears, the screen goes blank and nothing more happens... so now I'm confused...
[/size]

Specs of PC? Unless it's the one in sig.

Next, check with another disc to see if it's another error.

Yeah, it is now, forgot to update my sig. What do you mean by another disc?

Try another disc if ya have one handy i guess. Also, did you build it yourself? If ya did, then are ya sure its done properly?

Yeah, I build it myself, I'm pretty sure its done properly. I have two XP discs, one is scratched and the other is the one I'm using. I might try copying the one I'm using and seeing if that makes a difference. I also tries Ubuntu and it didn't work...

Update: I've now got the CD to boot and I have formated my hard drive, transfered files etc up unti the point where it says restart. The PC retarts but I can't boot from the harddrive and if I boot from the CD it just starts the installation all over again. Could it be something to do with the IDE setting (master, slave, cable select etc) or could be harddrive be at fault?

I know this is a stupid question but did you take cd out after boot because the computer will keep reading it...if not your harddrive may be wrong id recommend checkin you properly built it..there might just be something little youve done wrong allways happens to me..

After the restart I changed the boot priority so that the hard drive was first and put all other slots to disabled...

I just ran a Hitachi diagnosic program on it and results showed up fine, I'm running a 'fiteness test' in it right now.

What errors could I have made that would cause the machine to do that?

Back
Top Bottom