Another RAM Question

Craig Prince

In Runtime
Hello everyone, today I would like to ask a few questions about RAM. Such as Cas Latency, Voltage, and Clock Speed.

Let me list them all.

• What is Cas Latency. Just a question about what it does. Because I had noticed that the higher the speed of the Ram the Cas Latency got higher as well.

• RAM voltage, while I was looking on Newegg at RAM I noticed some had a higher voltage then the recommended of Haswell and Ivy Bridge CPUS. I also noticed that any RAM above the frequency 1866 ran at a higher voltage than 1.5 (the recommended of Ivy Bridge and Haswell) I just wanted to know why would you buy ram at 2400 and 1.65 volts when your CPU won't let it run that fast.

• How much does it help, I mean how much of a noticeable difference is there in speed between 1600 and 2400?

Lots of information I want to know about RAM isn't there. :)

Last edited:
People Don't know anything about RAM... :lol:

We do. :angel:

• What is Cas Latency. Just a question about what it does. Because I had noticed that the higher the speed of the Ram the Cas Latency got higher as well.

Latency is the time (in clock cycles) it takes between the moment a memory controller tells the RAM to access an address in the RAM and the moment the data from that location has been prepared to receive data.

Usually the higher Mhz the RAM is running at results in lower latency because of stability. I like having my Cas Latency at 8 or 7 and what ever Mhz the RAM module can take.

• RAM voltage, while I was looking on Newegg at RAM I noticed some had a higher voltage then the recommended of Haswell and Ivy Bridge CPUS. I also noticed that any RAM above the frequency 1866 ran at a higher voltage than 1.5 (the recommended of Ivy Bridge and Haswell) I just wanted to know why would you buy ram at 2400 and 1.65 volts when your CPU won't let it run that fast.

The better quality of RAM the lower voltage it needs to run. I like having a module less then the most common 1.65V... the reason is only that thought of quality. You should be able to use 1.65V on most motherboard. However if the specifications tells you otherwise it's best to pay those dimes extra to get a RAM module with lower Volt.

Ofcause the more powerfull the Ram module is the more difficult it is to make it run at 1.5V

• How much does it help, I mean how much of a noticeable difference is there in speed between 1600 and 2400?
VERY little. It's most useful when you don't have a dedicated graphic card and using an onboard GPU. 2400mzh is really good in cooperation with the AMD APU's for low end gaming. otherwise don't waste your money on expensive ram. As things are now, the RAM specs are not at all as important as they use to be. just have a 4x2 gig kit running with 1600mzh at CasL 9/8 using 1.5V

Last edited:
Thanks Biker, it helped to have someone tell me the truth about it. I've heard lots of people say you basically need RAM at least at 2400mhz and I never knew why it would matter that much, so I decided to ask CF on their opinions. Glad I asked!

Thanks again Biker :)

Back
Top Bottom