another RAM question..

hafamazing

Solid State Member
My Emachines currently runs on 2100 PCI, can i use higher speeds for better performance? i.e. using a 2700 PCI

you can probably use pc2700 without issues but that would be about it as pc 2100/2700 are compatable. But you need to refer to your motherboard specs to make sure.. if it doesn't and you use pc2700 in the system it will auto revert to pc2100 as all ram is backward compatable.

Again you need to check with your motherboard specs. To do this go to the manufacturer and somewhere they will want what model # of Emachine you got and you can see what it will take.... Now the issue is going to be this:
Emachine is a low cost computer with extreme proprietary issues and what you may have is going to be a locked bios and motherboard system that cannot be upgraded to anything other than what you already have installed. What they think upgrading is totally different than how techs like us see it. Their upgrades are increased memory sizes and not speeds.. so you may be locked into pc2100 type ram... To install pc2700 would really be a waste as it will automatically reverse down to pc2100 as I said before.
The only better performance that you can get out of it would be by increasing the amount of ram...usually by doubling the amount..ie. you have installed 250megs then add 250 to make it 500....BUT>>> again you must look at the specs as it may not take any more than what you already have installed.

yea i was chatting with a tech and he said that the motherboard can carry up to 2048mb of RAM so i should b fine there and i have a celeron 2.60 GHz in there too so thats not too bad

you have a 2.6 chip and only running at 266(pc2100)?
I am sorry but that just doesn't sound quite right there. Most chips that run from 1.2 to 2.0 are using pc2100 ram.. Those between 1.5 and 2.5 use pc2700
those running 2.0 to 3.0 use pc3200/ddr400 and so on. Notice the over lap. Now this is not fixed but a kind of "rule of thumb". To have a fairly fast chip and keep it restricted with a slow ram clock seems out of kilter. AGIAN, I stress for you to check your specs from the manufacturer for your system...

here are my specs ive looked over again and again:

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Intel® Celeron® 2.60 GHz Processor
128KB L2 cache & 400 MHz FSB
Intel® 845GV Chipset
256 MB DDR (PC 2100)
80 GB HDD 1
48x Max. CD-RW Drive; 16x Max. DVD Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
Intel® Extreme Graphics 3D
64MB Shared Memory
10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
56K ITU v.92 ready Fax/Modem
AC '97 Audio
Standard Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Standard Stereo Speakers
6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out
7.25"w x 14.125"h x 16"d

i heard that celerons run a gig slower than what they are posted as but im not sure

Ok, I can see that they are running a high FSB and low clock speed.. What it looks like is that they overclocked the chip to make it appear as a fast system to sell it. But what is the model number so that we can check and see what is possible. Those are the particulars but not the specs..specs give ranges also.

ok you are confined to pc2100 ram and can add up to 2 gigs.. Though I wouldn't suggest more than 1 gig upgrade as you really would not see any better performance from it.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom