Another new build up for review please

To give you an idea, or try to anyways. Sandy Bridge runs rather cool and are OC monsters. On an H50 with two 3000RPM fans at 4.6GHz I hit 80c easy with an ambient temp of 68F. IB and Haswell run much much warmer than SB. That is with HT disabled too. This being said, I would absolutely not put anything smaller on that chip if you plan to OC it. It may be expensive, but I would even look at getting the H100i since you bought a big case, or the Swiftech H220 if you can find one in stock. Think of IB and Haswell like the old Presshot.

Edit: Oh yea, that Zalman 9700 wasn't very good back in its day either. My X2 4200+ ran in the 80s daily......although at 2.9GHz lol.

Last edited:
Well the good news is I caught the order before it went out and was able to cancel that Zalman. I'm looking at the H100i since I can mount it to the top of the case in place of the stock 230mm fan. It is quite pricey, but should end up worth it in the long run. I also saw your post about the RAM factory... may end up grabbing another set of RAM to bump it to 16GB just so I won't pay through the nose for it later. I was considering 16GB (more like toying with the idea) but if the prices are about to go up and stay up, I may do it now rather than later. Haven't fully decided yet though, since what I have on the way is already twice what I'm working with now.

Another question on the H100i: what are your thoughts on mouting 2 more 120mm fans on the reverse side of the radiator? Worth considering or minimal gains for exponentially more money? Also, what about replacing the fans that come with the kit? Any thoughts there?

I agree with the RAM idea personally. I had made another post saying consider 16 if you want to upgrade later because prices have gone up 50% since this time last year. Now that the factory went up in smoke I really wouldn't be surprised if everybody raised their prices like the HDD scam a while ago.

Push/pull has good gains with fans that provide more static pressure with good flow. Replacing the stock fans is a good idea, but the fans I tell people to get are pricey, and you're looking at 200 bucks worth of cooling setup if you do that. So if you want to replace them, then I suggest getting a set of Scythe Gentle Typhoons. Just can't say I didn't warn you, they are expensive like Noctua fans lol.

Okay, the RAM I bought yesterday is out of stock today. Recommend a decent pairing of 2x4GB RAM for that Kingston you suggested yesterday?

If I'm reading that correctly, you're saying doubling up the fans isn't a terrible idea. Correct?

Scythe Gentle Typhoons are out on Newegg, about $20 a pop on Amazon. Which RPM were you thinking? 1450 is cheaper by a few dollars, not much difference between 1850 and 4250, but the noise level can't be preferable on the 4250RPM model...

Also, any cheaper recommendations on fans? Lol. being the asthetics guy that I am, I was looking at blue LED fans, but I suppose a cold cathode light could give roughly the same effect.

**EDIT: Possible fan replacement??

**EDIT: Just managed to snag an h100i for $85 shipped on Amazon!

Last edited:
Had to go meet somebody about possible new employment.

Anyways, any RAM that is 2x4 and 1600 will work. Really, you should probably send the Kingston back and get a 2x8 set.

Yes, if you want to spend the cash on better fans. Otherwise, it's kind of waste and I don't recommend buying cheap fans like those Rosewill fans. They are crap.

To answer your question, the 1850s.

Now I'm treading into dangerous territory... why go with a 2x8 over 4x4... if it's so I have more slots, why don't I just get 4x8? Any real benefit from going 2x8 vs 4x4?

Hopefully the interview went well enough this time then!

**EDIT: Also, do you think I could get by with just one set of Scythes to go with the stock fans on that kit?

Last edited:
For upgradability, and less opportunity for stability issues. It's always, and I mean always better to go with a 2 stick setup over a 4 stick setup. Back in the day IMCs had a problem with strain issue using 4 sticks. AMD still kinda has that problem but Intel doesn't. Just adds probability of stick failure and more headaches as a possibility. I guess you could say it adds to the what if factor. If you're going to do 16GB, just get 2 8GB sticks.

Wasn't an interview unfortunately. Just chatting with a guy I already met who got a promotion and is in a position to bring me on. Just hoping he does what he says and I get it rather than before when I got my hopes up and was let down 3 times.

If you buy the Scythe fans it would be better just to use them alone instead of with the crap stock fans.

Makes sense. 4 scythe fans and a Crucial Balistix 2x8 set ordered. This stupid computer is costing me a fortune... lol. I'll be returning that 2x4 set to Newegg when it gets here then. Truly thought about just grabbing 4x8 and putting it on the credit card, but i will barely need 16GB...

Well, I've got my fingers crossed for you!

One more thing (on top of the like 20 I've already had): What about a nifty fan controller for the front of my case? I found an NZXT Sentry 2 for $20.. maybe I don't absolutely need it, but could it be helpful being able to dial in fan speeds from the case itself? I honestly can't see how it could hurt...

Back
Top Bottom