AmericanSensei... Tips?

Half Evil

Golden Master
Well, im taking my blackbelt test next weekend.

I need some tips on how to pass.

As of now, I have this:

Drink Gatoraide before test (no water breaks)
Pace yourself
Strive for the extra energy
Dont Give up
No soft moves
If I mess up, act like I ment to do it like that
Plant my feet
Stare a hole through the wall

And thats the essence of it.

Anything other tips that might be usefull?

Haha, some of those sound so funny. :p Stare a hole through the wall...LOL

Wow, First let me say Congratulations for making it this far, Definately something to be proud of.

Not sure how long they will make your BB test, but mine took the better part of 8 hours. My next test is for 4th dan, that test man..Wow, haha, Be afraid, VERY afraid.

The test "itself" wasn't too hard. During my test they tried to mentally and physically break me down. I was assuming perfect right angel horse stances for up to an hour. As for your art, I cannot stress enough, KNOW your art. Getting to the BB test shows you have a passion for the art, so you better know it. If you screw up during a form simply act like nothing happened and move on. Take Ice skaters for example, they get right back up and give it 210%.

I woke up that morning and ate a semi small breakfast. Very healthy of course. Had eggs, toast, juice, hell I cant remember, this was years ago. Before I went in I drank yes, Gatorade, energy bar, and sat in the corner of the dojo and had a few words with the man up stairs who pulled me through.

During the test, Picture a pair of titties on the wall, and stare at those puppies as long as you have to.

Good luck man, and I believe you will do fine. I'll say a few words for you too.

I'n a rush atm, but I'll tackle a bit more of this in depth a bit later.

blackbelt in what?

mine was 4 parts

board breaking
5 mile run and 30 minute stance
kata
10 rounds sparring 250 pushups

the nights before all my parts, i was up the entire night, including the night before the run (was a bit**)...

good luck man

p..s how long u been at this MA ur gettin a black belt for?

Drink Gatoraide before test (no water breaks)> Not right before your match. You take a blow to the belly, you're going to barf it up.

Pace yourself> A quick decisive victory would be better. If your opponent can out last you, you're going to be in trouble.

Strive for the extra energy> You should be on a high protein diet right up to the night before the match. Start your days with 2 raw eggs blended in 8oz of orange juice. Bowl of cereal with low fat milk. I skipped lunch if I could not eat at home. If you can eat at home high protein, low fat balanced meal. Same for dinner.

Don't Give up> If you don't plan on not giving up then bother to get on the mat.

No soft moves> Watch your self on this. Some refs look at some moves or combinations as overly aggressive.

If I mess up, act like I meant to do it like that> Admit you made a mistake. Remember it's all about honor.

Plant my feet> Making your self a stationary target is not a good plan. Remain mobile. Plant before you kick or punch. But don't telegraph your moves.

Stare a hole through the wall> Through the wall? You better be watching your opponent. Think of how he's attacked or countered. Plan several moves ahead. Eye of the Tiger.
Good luck...

AmericanSensei said:
Wow, First let me say Congratulations for making it this far, Definately something to be proud of.

Not sure how long they will make your BB test, but mine took the better part of 8 hours. My next test is for 4th dan, that test man..Wow, haha, Be afraid, VERY afraid.

The test "itself" wasn't too hard. During my test they tried to mentally and physically break me down. I was assuming perfect right angel horse stances for up to an hour. As for your art, I cannot stress enough, KNOW your art. Getting to the BB test shows you have a passion for the art, so you better know it. If you screw up during a form simply act like nothing happened and move on. Take Ice skaters for example, they get right back up and give it 210%.

I woke up that morning and ate a semi small breakfast. Very healthy of course. Had eggs, toast, juice, hell I cant remember, this was years ago. Before I went in I drank yes, Gatorade, energy bar, and sat in the corner of the dojo and had a few words with the man up stairs who pulled me through.

During the test, Picture a pair of titties on the wall, and stare at those puppies as long as you have to.

Good luck man, and I believe you will do fine. I'll say a few words for you too.

I'n a rush atm, but I'll tackle a bit more of this in depth a bit later.

Well, I was even debating if I should eat or not.

And I will be going to bed, EARLY! However, still wondering on how much sleep is too much.

And I have the moves, for Kata, my problem is doing the applications (two man). You know... all the Bunkai rolled into a fight scene. Just my partner and I dont have the same type movements, so when we do things they dont flow. However, Im much more agressive then he is. He is a very passive person, and that is the one thing you cant have in this test. However, his arms hurt like a mother..

pcfan734 said:
blackbelt in what?

mine was 4 parts

board breaking
5 mile run and 30 minute stance
kata
10 rounds sparring 250 pushups

the nights before all my parts, i was up the entire night, including the night before the run (was a bit**)...

good luck man

p..s how long u been at this MA ur gettin a black belt for?

Shudokan

Well, Ive been at it about 5 years and 4 months, however, I should have tested at 5 years, but couldnt because of grades :(

We have a few more parts..

10 Kata
Give or take about 30 different Bunkai that we do twice
One two man from each of the five first katas (the secret katas that only our style knows)
5-Part Europian Blocking
And 5-Part Elbow technique

setishock said:
Drink Gatoraide before test (no water breaks)> Not right before your match. You take a blow to the belly, you're going to barf it up.

Pace yourself> A quick decisive victory would be better. If your opponent can out last you, you're going to be in trouble.

Strive for the extra energy> You should be on a high protein diet right up to the night before the match. Start your days with 2 raw eggs blended in 8oz of orange juice. Bowl of cereal with low fat milk. I skipped lunch if I could not eat at home. If you can eat at home high protein, low fat balanced meal. Same for dinner.

Don't Give up> If you don't plan on not giving up then bother to get on the mat.

No soft moves> Watch your self on this. Some refs look at some moves or combinations as overly aggressive.

If I mess up, act like I meant to do it like that> Admit you made a mistake. Remember it's all about honor.

Plant my feet> Making your self a stationary target is not a good plan. Remain mobile. Plant before you kick or punch. But don't telegraph your moves.

Stare a hole through the wall> Through the wall? You better be watching your opponent. Think of how he's attacked or countered. Plan several moves ahead. Eye of the Tiger.
Good luck...

Lol sorry, im speaking of Kata not Sparring.

However, ill keep that in mind for tounament ;)

arrizx...im a goju ryu guy, perhaps youve heard of it? looking at your style it seems we are very similar! with the exception goju seems to have been around alot longer

seems we have alot of the same kata? taikyoko, sanchin (of course)

anyway, if your ever up for a fun chat feel free to PM me :)

I have no idea about the test, but it sounds like you're doing alot of standing around in one spot. I did this with Air Cadets and i just needed to put myself in another mental place in order to stand in the same spot for 3 hours.

Anyways, good luck we know you can make it :)

Back
Top Bottom