AMD's new APU. Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipp1234567

In Runtime
what are your opinions on AMD's new APU? there has been/still has alot of hype about the upcoming Bulldozer, but the APU sounds interesting nonetheless, and i would like to hear the community's opinion on it. (don't mention the bulldozer and how it should have been released first)

CPU + GPU in one small chip sounds out of this world, considering a massive monster such as any gaming graphics card could fit into a small area that is also housing a quad core processor... it blows me away.

i feel that the APU is going to seriously revolutionize the way gaming builds will be made in the future and the prices of computers in general. you can buy the motherboard + the quad core APU for just $250 (USD), which is quite the steal. and it doesn't consume as much energy as the traditional CPU+GPU, from the statistics that is. and the way it can revolutionize gaming builds is when adding a graphics card, it will increase the performance by 75% (6000 series). it blows my mind to imagine that. Yes, there may be downsides do having CPU + GPU in one chip, but with RAM at the price it's at, i think that it shouldn't be a problem. The total price for a build would decrease dramatically regardless. the power supply would not need to be a high wattage and can handle the whole system with say, 500W? maybe if its not crossfireX'd.
My only issue with this whole idea is Heat. of course it's already been released, i doubt anyone has actually bought it yet until someone from like, cnet, has made a solid review on the product. but i think it would generate quite an amount of heat.

So, i want to hear waht you think about it, is this a good chip to invest in? would gamers turn to the APU for cheaper gaming rigs that can accomplish just as much as the traditional gaming rig?

I don't like it, there will be massive heat output in a very small area, GPU gets hot, so does the CPU, and vice versa. Also, I would hate to see how many pins would be needed for such a thing to attach to the motherboard.

im reading some reviews on newegg, apparantly AM2/AM3+ heatsinks fit onto the FM1 Socket, and based on this one guys build/review, his processor runs at 22degrees C. and on another review, apparantly the cores are just Athlon II x4.

edit: and its 32nm

yeah but can you imagine an i7 and a gtx 560 on a 45nm die? OMG. best evvvvaaaaaaarrr

;)

begging your pardon. current sandy bridge cpus are built 32nm. :surprised:

Now, imagine the heat output... One thing people are forgetting, a GPU can get much hotter and withstand very high temperatures, a CPU core can not, having the GPU beside it is just... Scary... I can see this being a dead attempt of some sort, while good in a few setups, it isn't the future, imagine upgrading the CPU just to upgrade the GPU, you would need to re-activate windows quiet often...

Now, imagine the heat output... One thing people are forgetting, a GPU can get much hotter and withstand very high temperatures, a CPU core can not, having the GPU beside it is just... Scary... I can see this being a dead attempt of some sort, while good in a few setups, it isn't the future, imagine upgrading the CPU just to upgrade the GPU, you would need to re-activate windows quiet often...

bah

details ;)

but thanks for the lecture

in all honesty, i perosnally think AMD is better than intel overall, not in products but overall as in company, products, price, everything. and i highly doubt AMD would sacrifice their quality for price with something like Heat. they must have something to prevent that. but i understand your worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom