AMD vs. Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mothergoose

Solid State Member
first off im not trying to start any seriouse arguments or anything because i know some people are firm believers in the brand they like.

so im going to be building my first computer soon and i need some help. it will be mostly used for light gaming(counter-strike 1.6 & call of duty) but id also like it to perform ok in the future with better games(counter-strike source & call of duty 2.) it will also be used for internet browsing and listening to music and watching movies. i have heard that AMD's are better for gaming even though they are not as high of ghz. true? so ive been looking at mb's and components for each kind of processor and this is what i came up with.

If i got Intel:
Processor-Intel Pentium D 930(3.0ghz, 800 fsb)Pentium D
Motherboard-ASUS P5LD2mb

If i go AMD:
Processor:Athlon 64 4000+(2.4ghz, 1gh fsb(im guessing this is why they are supposed to be soo much better than the Intels?) AMD
Motherboard-Gigabyte GA-K8N Promotherboard

either way im probably going to overclock them.

Things im gonna get either way i go:
harddrive-probably gonna stick with the one from my current computer(not sure what kind but its 74 gigs)
CD-RW-from old computer
DVD-RW-LITE-ON DVD
RAM-not sure gonna need some help
Floppy-from old computer
Case/powersupply-Aspire X- dreamercase
Graphics card:XFX Geforce 6800XT
videcard

thanks in advance for the help

I have always prefered AMD. Mainly because I usually tend to lean towards the least popular thing, but also because they rock.

BennyV04988 said:
AMD all the way...for life...I wouldn't buy an intel if AMD went for broke TODAY. They suck...heres all the proof you'll ever need!

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html
"company(ism)" is never a good way to go in fact the new intel line from what I hear surpasses the AM2 line... This generation AMD has won hands down but in 6 months it's a whole new game that has yet to be decided.

I'd wait for the nextgen cores from intel, if the specs from the paperlaunch hold true, they will effortlessly anniahlate AMD. There is nothing more to be said. They should be out around July or August. Please before you call me a noob intel fanboy, please take the time to actually do some research on the new cores, one is conroe, another is woodcrest, and there is one more which I don't remember. If all AMD does is add DDR2 support (or other minor changes) for AM2, then I am afraid intel has already won. Somebody got a 23 sec superpi 1m time on a manufacturing sample of a conroe based CPU, clocked at 2.7GHz. For AMD to get that kind of time, it takes an athlon 64 overclocked on phase change to 3.6GHz.

Yes Intel seems to have done their homework this time but I am only concerned with their price they will be released but they also are reports of it being cheap.

The other core 003 is the Yukon Core if I remember correctly.

*sigh* June 6th people....

D-Day

Come on...Who's gonna come out on top eh? You think AMD doesn't have something up their sleeve?! They won't go down without a fight. There is no reason they can't keep on their game.

Does anyone have a link to all of this intel hohah?

well i really dont want to wait for the new intels...and they will probably be out of my budget(under $400(for processor). do you think that an overclocked AMD will eb able to compete with the new intels?stabaly?on the motherboard above? also is the power suply that comes with that case enough for the things i listed?enough to overclock?

oh yea and a link would be good

thanks again

Well rightnow the only way to go is AMD. They will eat Intel up every which way. AMD also names there processors according to there intel equivilent.

An Athlon 3200+ = a 3.2 ghz Intel

An Athlon 3700+ = a 3.7 ghz Intel

An Athlon 4000+ = a 4.0 ghz Intel and so on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom