AMD to overspend or not overspend?

SirVal

In Runtime
Well hey there folks me again with another query!
Ok, buying a new system soon, was going to spend £1500 but then got caught up in aload of stuff, and I think its sensible that I lower the budget to around £1050, which is a much more realistic amount.
I've sacrificed the Geforce 7800, and substituted it for a 256 mb 6800GT, it's a small drop considering, then it came to the proccessor, hmm the problems start. My original choice was the AMD 4400 dual core but now it comes to it, i've seen many users on here who use the AMD 3500+ which sounds like it runs great, faster when overclocked. So what i'm wondering is, is it worth spending all this extra when I don't need the power yet, heck it'd be nice to say i've got it but its alot of extra cost which I expect won't be needed for a long time. I believe anyway i'll be getting an FX-57 during the coming years when I actually need it, along with a new graphics card to 'keep up with the times', I'm a heavy gamer, I love my games on max settings and I still feel I can fulfill what I want with these components. The specs will be (for those who care):
2GB Dual Channel Memory (2x1GB), AMD 64 3500+ Venice core, Geforce 6800GT.
I know your all very opinionated so please feel free to tell me what you think.

Cheers

first off that will run all your games fine. in fact more than fine. the 3500 is a very good processor althoug that is quite a bit of ram. i would suggest getting an sli mobo so you can upgrade later.

Yeah it's SLi, don't worry i've got everything else sorted, don't need help for any other stuff yet. I know 2GB is alot of RAM, I want that to last a while before having to upgrade.
Thanks for the advice.

I'd say go for the lowest socket-939 athlon 64, which is the 3000. You can overclock that for extra power if you need to, quite easily.

And i think you might as well drop down to a 660GT, which is considerably less than a 6800GT, in price, but not performance.

Not worth dropping to a 6600 GT considering the power i want to run my games with, thats a mid-high end card, i need a high end one, and i'll be getting a 3500 +

acphenom said:
And i think you might as well drop down to a 660GT, which is considerably less than a 6800GT, in price, but not performance.

ok it does cost less, but 6600gt's in SLI dont equal the performance of a single 6800gt. so dont listen to this guy. stay with the 3500+ and the 6800gt. also that much ram is good, you should be able to run FEAR very nicely.

Well, okey doke, but if you can overclock, get the 3000+ Venice Core. You'll save quite a bit of money.

Just buy the the everything high end and you dont have to upgrade your pc for another 4 to 6 years i tell you. spend a billzillon of dollars and you have a pc that will last last last

stick with the 2 gigs and the 3500 then you dont have to buy anything for a while

Nah, don't. Soon, you'll have to cut back on your energy consumption, i'll tell you. Play it smart and go with what you need.

Like i said, if you don't mind overclocking, get a 3000+ Venice, and you'll get it to 2.4GHz with a good motherboard, like an ABIT or DFI.

Back
Top Bottom